Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 912G, worth $1500?

DorneyMA1

Brett is this a 912 G or a 912 H? If it is a "G" maybe someone can described what it is. I am not familiar with it. If it is a 912H? Does it have hydraulic lift and or power steering? If it does and it meets the test decribed by "dlc" $1500 is an OK price.

Good Luck! MS

Mike, the "912G" or just 912, was a six-speed built in '80 through '84. It's equivalent to a 7112, a 7100 series Sovereign.
Brett, that does also include a deck, doesn't it? I'd say $1500 would be tops if it's in real good shape. Beyond the usual "Sovereign stuff" that Dave described, check the deck for rot and condition of the arbor assemblies.
Fred

Thanks for the responses, especially the specific info on condition and price....am I going crazy? Have spent the last several weeks looking for a lawn tractor to cut 3/4 acre and maybe blow some snow (100' driveway). Have looked seriously at green and yellow, Sabre, Scotts, Honda, Toro...etc. Then I come across this AC 912G and had this very unnatural feeling of love and compassion for a piece of machinery! Is it possible for a LAWN TRACTOR to generate an emotional response???!!??? Unbelievable! I have to laugh at the thought of me riding around mowing with this old, fading, machine with wheel weights and chains on 3/4 acre of residential property! Felt like the guy who found the old ugly dog at the pound and just had to take it home! However, emotions or not, I have to have a tractor that has some life left in it. How much is left in a 19 year old tractor with original engine? As for the expensive repairs listed in the post above, just how expensive are we talking? If I decide to buy it, will one of you call my wife and explain?????

Brett,
Make no mistake about it. That 912 is a good, tough GARDEN tractor, with a design heritage extending all the way from the Sim "700" and A-C "B" series right up to the current production Sovereign. While it is a bit much for 3/4 acre, and you might rather have a more maneuverable lawn tractor with a hydro for that yard, come winter you will definitely appreciate the 912's guts when you tackle that 100 feet of driveway. Assuming that you check out the things previously mentioned, you should find plenty of life left in it.
There are friendly disagreements on this site as to the relative merits of the Briggs and Kohler iron singles, but that K-301 is a tough, reliable, and readily-rebuildable 118 pounds of "DLA" (Detroit Light Alloy - cast iron). If it starts and runs well and doesn't rattle, smoke, or leak a lot it will serve you well.
While one would usually take off the weights and chains for cutting grass, ;<) you will find that you CAN NOT do better than the "Simplicity cut"; and it's no shame to an A-C to refer to it that way. If, after all this, you buy it and find that you really don't want it, you shouldn't have much trouble reselling it on this site.
A couple of 'accessories' to get right away would be Simplicity Repair Manual TP-973 (Or an equivalent, and possibly a separate parts book, from an AGCO-Allis dealer, although I know of no important differences in the A-C from the 7112) and Kohler Service Manual TP-2379 and a specific parts book based on your engine numbers. Those and the operator's manual will cover everything. And of course many other implements to fit it are still readily available.
WHEN you get it, start off by working it over with a good automotive polishing-type car wax; it should do the paint some good. Never know, at some point you may even find yourself wanting to restore it! Sure, that's emotional, but it's also respect for good machinery, which this is.
Good luck, whichever way you go,
Fred

Thanks Fred. The dealer offering the 912 is a local Hudson Valley area of New York Simplicity dealer around for 35 years, grandfather, dad and son and I got a realy good feeling from them.....not a real big dealer but around forever. Is a little rust around the edges ok? This tractor just sits there and BEGS to be rebuilt and prettied up. I think I will pay a mechanic to go take a look see to check the issues posted previously. Whats a price range for rebuilding the engine if needed?

Can buy a 1980 A/C 912 G w/snowblower for $1500. Any comments on the reliability and quality and price would be appreciated. Tractor looks old but seems to be in good mechanical condition. What should I look for to really tell about its condition?

Brett, Check on left side under seat pan the pto clutch for wear/loosness.Also with mach off rock the pto clutch drum back and forth by hand checking for excessive play in bevel gear box.There should be no more than1/8-1/4" free play in gears ,if more than that is found it's an expensive repair.Also check on right side of trac axle tube for cracks around differential/grease fitting, that's also an expensive repair. Good luck! dlc

Sounds a bit steep to me for the tractor w/ two attachments. I purchased an older similar machine with 2 more attach. and other goodies for 2K. On the other hand, if you look at the price of a new equivilent machine, FOUGEEDABOUDIT (as we say in NY) If it looks nice to you, buy it, but try to talk the seller down to $1200.

Brett,
I recently purchased a 1982 Simp 7117H, with 42" deck, 42" snowblower, dozer blade, weights/chains and snowcab for $1700.
The equipment is in good shape (about 1000hrs on original engine), except for the snowblower which needs some rot repair.
It's a great machine and has performed flawlessly for me. (Mowing/pushing/hauling) It sounds like $1500 may be a little high.Good luck!

Jeff H.

Brett. Last year I rebuilt my K301 in my 712H. The engine was bored out .020 (this is a must! do not just put new rings on the old piston) new piston, new exhaust valve, carb kit, gasket kit etc.. I had this all done for $395.
One more comment this tractor will be around and working for another 19 years. I doubt that you will get that comment on the other brands you mentioned.

Good Luck! MS

Interesting narrative. I just bought a Allis Chalmers 920, 1985, for the exact same reason. Looked at new lawn tractors, felt the thin guage stamped steel chassis, saw the Briggs and Stratton engine(industrial no less, whatever that means) heard the dealer recommend against attachments (not really made for them), and then ask for $1700.00 with a straight face. So facing a lawn of much the same size as yours I found in the local want ads an AC 920, 18.5 horse diesel, tiller, mowing deck and grass catcher, used very sparingly (stored most of it's life). I bought it, for probably too much money, and have been pleased ever since with my irrational purchase.

So now I mow 2/3 of an acre with this behomoth. My wife is quick to point out how ridiculously out of place I look perched proudly atop a diesel garden tractor with a 48 inch deck, powering my way through our green postage stamp. Oh well, to me it's a more satisfying mid-life crisis purchase than a 1965 red porsche needing an engine rebuild (parts are cheaper too).

As far as talking to your wife, I pulled the old "I am a man, I have no toys. We own a practical family car, no boat, no motorcycle, and I am in desperate need of something to extend the hours I spend puttering in the garage, and, as a bonus, reaffirm my manhood". It didn't work, but being of sound mind and body (and generally quite nice), she allowed me my indulgence.

It is a wonderful feeling to have a toy that is built solidly, engineered well, and truly a joy to work on. To tip the balance, consider the option, buying a $1,700.00 Murray 16 horse bought a Home Depot (free delivery, but attachments extra!). Just makes you cringe, doesn't it.