Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Sickle Bar Rivets

MPH
I recall the question being asked a while back, "Has anyone found a source of rivets 7/32 rivets". I have my bar torn down and the 3/16 x 1/2 rivets I have don't seem to work very well, too loose in the hole to hammer down tight and straight. Unable to find anything in Fairbanks so I asked my brother in Colo. He found a place he can order 7/32 x 3/8 long rivets from. DOES this sound like what we need to anyone else? Problem is gotta order 2,000 of them min. at 90 bucks/1,000. Divided 50/bar, how much need is there here for them? I have a bolens sickle, dumpster score :), that also has the same size teeth on it. Has anyone found a source to buy only 50 or a 100 of them? Home for the weekend, sortta.

2burning
That guy Dutch was telling us it is, "The correct rivets are 3/16" x 1/2" steel." http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=38316 I wonder if they are installed hot, they will shrink down and really tighten up. I would like to find a reference to the correct bolts to use with our sickle bars...

GregB
Marty, Before you go buy rivets, let me check the size of the box of 500 that I bought. Found the supplier online, name escapes me right now. They seemed to work well for me. Although I did use a 25 lb back-up bar, and a Riviting punch for my air impact hammer. Bought that online from a tool place specializing in tools for airplane building. I'll post again in the morning, right now I'm icing down my swollen foot, recovering from a run in with a "T" post Pounder. GregB

ibelee
We use both steel and aluminum rivetts on our truck bodies and boxes. We usually get them from either Fastenall or MSW. Both are on the web and you can purchase as little as 100 count.

firefoxz1
They should expand in the hole to fit tight when properly compressed. Nothing a 25 sledge and an old railroad tie for a backing doesn't seem to accomplish. I think I'll have to look for a riviting punch for the air hammer now that it was mentioned.

MPH
Sounds like a painful way to be able get cold feet Greg:(. I'll wait to hear back from you. Will be working 6 days a week at least, maybe 7 since they are a month behind getting started, thnakyou you corp of engineers, so I won't be ordering anything soon less I do it on my lunch break. No internet in the campground I parked the conostoga in so won't be on here much. If you PM me I'll be able to find it when I get on line. May go cellphone internet after I get bills caught back up.

GregB
Marty, I have a box with almost 500 in it :O They are #6x9/16th Oval Head Section rivets. Bought them from JAY-Cee Sales and Rivet Co, found them on the web. They measure in diameter about the same as the correct rivets (I was lucky enough to score a few with the spare Teeth I picked up off E-Bay). The only difference is that they are a little longer than the OEM rivet. I used a few, they seemed OK. Just keep the head side where you need the most clearance. I thought if they were way too long I would just make a holder and grind the shank to length. I bought the box after I broke my bar, and bought a replacement bar from H Tews. Then I found a bar with cutters mounted, just had to replace a few rusted ones. I use it twice a year so it should last a while. The impact hammer tool was bought via web search from a place in Texas, If I remember correctly. They supplied to the Home Built airplane crowd. PM me your mailing address and I will send you 75 or so to Try out. If they work for you, Donate a couple of dollars to the club treasury. GregB