Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just tilled the garden for the 1st time...

Kent

Getting ready to plant it on Memorial Day weekend, our typical "start date" here in New England.... Used the 3112V since I've got a starting problem with the HB-216 (bad switch or solenoid, I think) that I haven't taken time to resolve. I have the tine extensions on the 36" tiller, and it always amazes me how well a 38-year old 12HP engine will drive a 46" tiller. The governor would kick it when tilling to the max depth, but that's music to my ears.... (That's what I enjoy most about using the 48" snowblower also -- I like to hear these old Briggs sing at full throttle, on governor!) I tilled with turf tires and with the weight of the tiller on the back had no traction problems at all. But, even with a front counderweight on, the front tires would "plow" when turning in the loose dirt. I'd like to see one of the new 25 HP Craftsman machines try to drive this 46" tiller... :D

Would you mind stopping over and tilling mine too? I'm still waiting on backordered parts. My wife is making white chicken chili if you can get to WI by dinner time! I'm looking forward to trying my tiller out when my parts get here. Have a good weekend, John

AllisPhreak
"Getting ready to plant it on Memorial Day weekend, our typical "start date" here in New England" What ? I've had my garden in for two weeks now, and I'm in the Adirondack park, in Northern NY. (Although my wife lost all her flowers in last weeks frost). Wow...I find when I wait that long, my tomatoes ect do not have long enough growing season to ripen.

Where's the pics Kent? Would love to see some. Although my tiller is not as large as yours, I am also impressed with the performance. I'm also using mine between the rows for culivatting. Strawberrys are getting ripe, Tomatos are golf ball size, Peppers are about the size of a Laccross Ball, and more stuff popping up every day.

Seems strange you guys don't plant eailier then I do here in Alaksa. Actually, with the use of remae floating row cover from Johhnies seed I normally plantted about mid may.

I made a 2nd planting here yesterday Broom Corn,Amaranth,Comfrey, Okra. Tilled it with an Allis Chalmers 5040 and a 5' tiller first and then with a AC 712 and tiller before planting.Used the Sears Suburban with the electric 3pt and a middle buster to lay off the rows. Also the 712 and tiller to 'cultivate' the first time lets me get right up next to the plants.I always chisel plow about a foot deep earlier makes the tilling a lot easier

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Seems strange you guys don't plant eailier then I do here in Alaksa. Actually, with the use of remae floating row cover from Johhnies seed I normally plantted about mid may.
Marty, I could safely plant a couple weeks earlier -- if I'd use hotcaps or remay or something. I used to use "Wall-of-Waters" for my tomatoes, until the missus started planting 36 or more plants to use for canning, then I gave up on them. I've found it is just easier to wait the extra couple of weeks and do it all at one time. The things planted from seed (beans, carrots, etc.) still have plenty of time to grow and ripen, while there's no danger of frost to the tomatoes, cukes, etc., that are transplanted. Last year it was so wet at this time that we actually didn't get the tomatoes in for a couple more weeks (mid-June) and that was TOO late -- there were still green tomatoes caught in the first frost of the fall...

I hear what you are saying about loving to hear the motor work. We don't have a place for a garden but I've tilled 5 this spring just to get the tractor time.

No tilled some sweet corn and was hoping to spray roundup over it before it came up but didn't get it done because of seeding wheat. Not too bad for weeds considering the garden is at my folks place and it's where the straw piles were when they used threshing machines. Tilled part of it with the 9020 when it was a little to wet so it got lumpy. Try to get some of the garden planted before springs work. It was pretty dry for awhile and the transplanted tomatoes ,squash,cucumbers dried out when I was seeding soybeans so had to transplant more. Sweet corn about 5" - 6" tall. Fresh radish's last week. The beets that did come up are pretty scarce. Got some new seed plates for the Earthway planter and hope they work better than the one that came with it for the sweet corn. It was planting way to much with the plate. It does make a nice furrow for planting in by hand tho. Picked it up at an auction for $5.00. Trying some sweet potatoes this year to see if they'll make it up here. Any info on growing them? They are plants to be transplanted. The Giant Atlantic Dills pumpkins haven't even germinated yet. To cold of ground? Also have to plant from seed some other odd pumpkins for the nephews & nieces to pick for Halloween. They have a great time picking out their own. We've received around 2" of rain but now if it knows when to quit. Had 12 yards of peat hauled in to spread on the garden when it dries up enough. It was very close to freezing this week but lucked out on that. Try to get pictures as things progress. Fixed the electric fence to keep the critters B)out.

It is nice to hear that old 12hp briggs still pulling strong... I've been pretty amazed by what it's able to do. So far I think tilling might be the most enjoyable "chore" :D

we actually had a good frost here in se mass less than 2 weeks ago. I beleive SE mass is a bit milder than the worcestor hills.

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr
we actually had a good frost here in se mass less than 2 weeks ago. I beleive SE mass is a bit milder than the worcestor hills.
I'm at about the same elevation as the Worcester airport. It typically is a few degrees cooler here in the hills. The only advantage I have is that my house is alomst at the top of the hill (across the street from houses on the top) and the cool air doesn't "pool up" up here. There will be pockets of frost down lower when I have none -- quite often there's too much air movement for frost to form... The disadvantage is that we get the brunt of the wind, whether from the Northwest (normal direction, especially in winter) or during a Nor'easter... 45-50 MPH winds aren't all that uncommon up here when fronts are moving through.

Well, Down here in the sunny south in North Alabama, we typically start in late March and early April. "Plant your green beans on Good Friday" I was a bit late this year due to the fact that we had an Easter freeze down to around 26 degrees. The garden is growing, though we have not had rain in over three weeks. I have no idea what is making it grow, though. I did not use a Simplicity to till, but an old homemade with a Briggs ZZ for power, and a Merry tiller to get it workable. It is growing. Looking, casually, for a tiller and other implements for a 64 Landlord.

my garden is a mere 20x30. i have 2 tillers for my 3 soveriegn's. All have different attachments mounted that get frequent use. So I opted to use the shovel to turn over my garden, rather than mounting the tiller.

Have six tractors 3 tillers and 1 plow. Used everything to see if they all worked, they did , that was fun. Oh have more time to play with my toys now that I'm retired. I'v pick english pes aready,squash, radishs, lettuse, and a tomato or two. Potatos are golf ball size, will be having new potatos in a week or so. We haven't had rain here for three weeks also, so I'm irrigating with my drip sys. That here in Greer S.C. Have fun enjoy your gardens there nothing like working in the dirt and seeing things grow. Ken