Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got my 9020 home

RBE17

I won an ebay auction on a 9020 at the end of April. I was finally able to pick it up this past weekend. I won the tractor for $1,625 and included were a 60" mower deck, snowblower and custom cab. I've not had a chance to use it yet, but here are my initial observations. - It's loud (but I'm not complaining) - The brake doesn't work - I have difficulty finding the gears - There is a leak (possibly the trans?) - The throttle lever does not work - It doesn't always start - The snow blower is heavy and "fun" to move by yourself - It drives nice - The clutch squeals when the pedal is pushed in - The cab is actually a Simplicity cab that someone built an enclosure around - The snow blower is heavy These are purely observations and not complaints. I plan on going through it Friday afternoon when I have off from work. I'm very excited to have this thing home and am looking forward to many years of service. Once I have it sorted out I can start acquiring attachments. I'll post some pictures in the near future. Steve.

The brakes not working and a trans leak are probleby one in the same, there are seals in the brake area that go out and wet the brakes with oil. Parts are still avaible, seal from napa O ring from simplicity. Boil the brake disk in water to remove oil.

Levi, Thanks for the tip. That'll be one of the things I check on Friday. Thanks, Steve.

The clutch is only used for cold starts or panic stops. Re your brake discs, use a torch to burn the oil away.

Steve, Congrats! I'll throw a few comments in..........
quote:
Originally posted by RBE17
- It's loud (but I'm not complaining) - The brake doesn't work - I have difficulty finding the gears - There is a leak (possibly the trans?) - The throttle lever does not work - It doesn't always start - The snow blower is heavy and "fun" to move by yourself - It drives nice - The clutch squeals when the pedal is pushed in - The cab is actually a Simplicity cab that someone built an enclosure around - The snow blower is heavy
Not too bad after it's age! You may need a new muffler. (Brace yourself!) Levi Hit the brake/leak issue on the head. The trans is a 'select-n-go' sort of trans. The hydro controls the speed. Are you not familiar with the gear positions (Decal is gone?) or it doesn't move easily into gear when you're stopped with the clutch in? I usually recommend going through ALL the fluids/filters (including the drop downs!) to get them on a PM path. Belts fall in right after on PM, you might check the alignment/adjustment. Make SURE you use matched belts. Can you elaborate on the throttle & starting? Does the linkage move when you move the lever? These tractors are notorious for not getting 12v to the solenoid (worn wires, connections or switches). There's a whole lot of discussion on this in the forums. You'll find that 'most' of the attachments will make you think they had a given steel allotment to use. LOL The mower deck, blower & tiller all are on the fat side of 300#'s. Most of us 'lazy' types use loaders to move it around (LOL). I prefer to drive these to a LOT of other units around, they have a Cadillac feel. Hope you enjoy the new ride! Let us know what you find!! JP

I've found that the brakes often suffer from lack of use and that differential seal leaks are pretty well shielded from the brakes. The only time I use mine is for parking and sharp turns. Try a couple of trips around the yard with the brakes lightly applied, it works for me. As for the starting I'm assuming you mean it does not always crank. After checking all the connections you might check with Al Eden about his kit to help with this problem. If you need to tap the starter to get it to engage make sure the three speed is in neutral before trying to start it. I see JP posted while I was typing, his advice is always good.

Jim, I don't like the sound of "brace yourself". I'm just not familiar w/ being able to find the gears. The decal is there, but I'm just not familiar w/ them. Fluids and filters are on my list for Friday. I'll check the belts, too. I got a full set of extras w/ the tractor. It sometimes does not crank when I turn the key. Jiggling of one of the switches appears to "fix" the problem. It appears to obviously be a short, but I'll have to check it out. The throttle lever moves. I haven't had time to check the linkage yet. I didn't poke around at all because currently I can't get the hood open because of the way the wind shield is built on the cab. I need to build a stand for that snowblower so it can be moved easily. Once I get my tractor shed built, that's where it will live. Marty, The tractor has been sitting for at least a month, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. I've read about Al's electrical upgrade kit and will probably order one. I need this thing to be dead reliable. This tractor needs some going over, but I'm very pleased w/ my purchase. Considering what they normally sell for and what some of my alternatives were, I'm ecstatic to own this. Keep the comments coming. I appreciate them. Steve.

Steve, A while (?) back there was a member here that had made cradles with rollers on them & did a heck of a slick job on them too. (looked like you'd need to hang on to them when in the cradles, or they'd get away from you! LOL) Dave or someone with a better memory might remember... JP

Go to do it yourself on the main page http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/dollies_toolbox_more.htm Lots of good info

Also, if you have the room to store them on concrete, consider using a pallet (usually free) and mounting four cheap caster wheels on it. Does a great job for moving heavy implements around. And those fortunate enough to have loaders can then use clamp-on forks to pick up the pallets, if needed...

Congrats!:) An AC 720 with Arc 700 loader started my addiction. I had the same starter problem. I rigged up a push button and bypassed the switch. Now I put the key in the on position and push the button to start. It sends 12v(fused) directly to the selonoid. Was a quick fix compared to pulling the engine to get the starter. I had already done that once and did not feel like doing it again. The most difficult part was getting the wire on to the terminal on the selonoid. Had to contort my hand to get to it and feel around like a blind man. Serves the purpose. Good luck with it!:D Oh yeah I have a snowblower for it to. It hasn't moved since the day I brought it home:o).

quote:
Also, if you have the room to store them on concrete, consider using a pallet (usually free) and mounting four cheap caster wheels on it. Does a great job for moving heavy implements around.
Kent, your idea reminded me of something I have wanted to post but keep forgetting due to chronic CRS;).Moving companies are a great source for used furniture dollies- they usually buy new when the wheels get too rough for them to roll smoothly, but good enough for your average guy to use in the shop. I bought thirty for $10.00 each a few years back for the rigging business, they work great for moving implements and are just handy to have around.

I like those dollies. I use furniture dollies to store engine blocks and transmissions. Bill, I might end up going that route, too. Unfortunately all I've been able to do is look at the tractor since I got it home. I have a lot of interest in getting a loader for it, but my budget isn't allowing it at the moment. You haven't moved your snowblower yet? Heck, we slid it off the trailer, stood it on end and then I had the luxury of moving it myself so I could close the barn door. Later, Steve.

I just got the Tractor Supply flyer last night. I saw that they have wooden dollies on sale for 15%. I thought some of you might be interested.

I started to renovate the inside of my barn. This required us to move the snow thrower. We used two furniture dollies. They worked just fine.