Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Putting tubes in tubeless tires.

Alpha8D

Before installing the tubes make darn sure there's nothing in there to puncture the new tube. I recently had a flat on a lawn trailer. It has donor wheels from the front of a Soverign. One went flat and when I installed the new tube and pumped it up it leaked. I don't have equipment to take the tires completely off the rim so I just fished the tubes between the rim and bead. Problem was a nail with the head worn off and curved like a fish hook was inside the tire from a previous flat. On close examination I found where the tubeless tire had been plugged and I'm guessing someone pushed the nail on through and plugged the hole.

Jim, I take off my tires by using the handle ends of 2 adjustable wrenches as well as water with dish soap in it, pour it all over the rubber, push the sides to the center... And do it all around, make sure both sides are in the center groove. Then, pull on one end of the tire, allowing for space. Use an adjustable wrench handle to stick it in there. Use the other handle and slowly work your way. Keep in mind the other end has to have both walls in dead center. After the 1st side is off, the 2nd side is very easy. It works pretty good for me, and it takes more time, but it's a good way to do it in a pinch. To put a new tire back on, do the same, but in reverse process.

The problem I have with doing small tires is holding the rim in place. I removed 2 and installed 2 Sunday on the newer Broadmoor 12.5. Used a couple of long screwdrivers, which worked OK, but holding the rim with your foot is tough.

Ken, I personally use my vise and a metal angle iron with holes in it and I bolt the rim to the angle iron and the angle iron is tightly placed in my vise.