Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions requested

SmilinSam

Got the DeutZ Allis 917 painted and ready for an engine(building it for snow removal and maybe some blade work or maybe weed mowing) As it happens one has just found me. This guy has a brand new Magnum 16 Kohler single cylinder. Would bolt right in. Theres no PTO Shaft on this spec, but on a 900 series you dont need one. $300.00 is a pretty reasonable price for a new M16 regardless of pto shaft isnt it?

I would say so. It cost over $600 to have a 16 hp briggs rebuilt correctly. And you know that engine would bring more than that on ebay.

Sam, look at it this way. If Sears has like for like what you are talking about, you current price will be what ever Kohler tells them, maybe $1,500.00. You could get short block 32 CID Briggs from them a year ago for $1,200.00 Me thinks you got a steal deal.

It's a great deal unless it is a brand new never used engine from a store flooded with sea water. Does he have any more?

Just make sure it is a M16S. The S means electric start. It probably has a fixed jet carb. and you may not have the right cable connections/mounts for throttle and choke cables. But still a very good deal.

Yes, Go for it. You'd be getting close to that for a good running used motor of that HP.

Sam, It doesn't look like you are asking us a question. It looks like you are bragging. Wish I could find a deal like that. You dog, how do you stumble onto these deals? I spent almost that much for a 16 B/S that needed a lot of work.

Cant argue I've done my share of bragging, but an engine without a PTO shaft is a new one on me. I know its worth the price to me for personal use, but the overal value is what I was questioning. Something like this has a very limited resale market and I didnt really want to jump at it without a little consideration. The engine belongs to a friend of my 17 year old. Wont work in the Sear Suburban he was going to use it in in shop class and he got it from a relative that bought it new and then never ended up using it. The boys family put the price on it. He asked an additional hundred for the Suburban which I bought as well for parts sales. So, I guess I'll be putting this Magnum in the Deutz Since the Magnums are magneto ignition I assume you can use a Briggs type keyswitch to wire it up and kill the engine???

Yes, Sam, the B/S key switch will work fine with the Kohler magneto. I am with you, I have never seen an engine without an output shaft. The biggest portion of all engines drive their loads from the output shaft, not from the flywheel.

I have an old magnum 16 with no PTO as well. Got it for free blown up and no carb, but block is good and still standard. I thought it was kind of unusual, I have a good K341 crank I plan on putting in it if I rebuild it. I guess on a 900 series thats fine since you can run everything from the center pto, heck even a piston is over $100 so its a great buy.