Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine and hydro question on sunstar / kohler m-18

quantico

I picked up a spare sunstar that was cheap ... the engine starts up quickly but blows lots of smoke and actually sprays oil out the exhaust ... When I engage the deck it runs ok for a few seconds and slowly spins down the engine rpm until it stops, if I release the pto or stop mowing the engine rpm will slowly climb back up to what sounds normal. I assume that the engine is just out of power as it runs ok just driving around with the pto off. Are the parts available to fix up the engine ???? I have not done a compression test but I am guessing that I will get some low numbers. Other than even pressure between the cylinders.. what kind of numbers would be good for a used engine with over 1000 hours ??? The hydro moves easily and smoothly forward and reverse, but I can push the tractor around in the garage fairly easily ?? I assume this is a sign of a worn out hydro ??? it my thinking correct ???? the hydro fluid level on the tube is about the same range as my other sunstars. I bought this sunstar ( actually a deutz allis 1918 ) mainly to have a cheap supply of parts and to take apart the tractor and learn about it. I still have not found a simplicity manual for repairs.. I have called a couple dealers in my area and asked to get a price on one... but no call backs yet. I kind of hoped to get a spare engine core out of this tractor so that I could have an m-18 or m-20 ready to go should one of my other sunstars have a really bad day... I have never had an engine this bad that is blowing oil out and smoking this bad... so maybe I have a core and maybe I have nothing... Let me know what you think on the engine and hydro please... scott

This the twin cyl correct?. If so it is probably only running on one cyl and the other is dead and pushing the oil into the exhaust. Reason for the lack of power, only 8 or 9HP.

it sounds pretty smooth for only running on one?? interesting idea ... Guess I will pull a plug wire at a time and see if I get the same thing with only one side running... thanks am I correct on the hydro being bad in some way if I can push the tractor around ???

http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start Call the Simplicity phone number and order the service manual and parts manual. Engine service manuals are free online from Kohler also Parts diagrams. www.kohlerplus.com

I did some poking around... the right plug was fouled up as bad as I have ever seen... looked like it was dipped in chunky grease. I cleaned both plugs and did a compression test.. 87 psi on both cylinders exactly. That is dry ( no oil added ) and about a five second crank time. I did each test twice and got exactly 87 on both sides on both cylinders... the oil blowing ( smoking ) is still very bad, but now it is smoke instead of raw oil. The engine sounds like it is making power again.. Now I need to decide if I want to explore the world of rings and cylinder walls and valves and see what I can do with it. What would a shop charge to do an engine rebuild??? I have done car engines myself many years ago... but never have worked on air cooled... Firefoxz1 thanks for the hunch... the engine sounded pretty smooth so I did not really think of it running only on one side. Those horiz opposed twins are really smooth ... Any idea on why a hydro would work smoothly , but be able to be pushed around ??

First thing I would do with the transmission is to change the fluid and filter -- using a Simplicity filter.

After mine (DA 1918) sets for a period of time I can push it, however there is resistance (weight and probably some internal resistance thru the tranny and rear end). I have no problems with my transmission. Servicing it is no doubt a good suggestion. I would say that as long as it pulls well, is responsive and doesn't slip you're good to go.