Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

opinion's needed please!!

jimcadigan

Well, here I go again showing off my lack of knowledge, I'm looking at a 1918 Ultima, hours are unknown and it possibly has a weak hydro, so I was told. Other wise its in average shape. Any ideas on what its worth with a good hydro and or with a bad hydro?? Thanks for your input. Jim

Most of the Sunstar types that need engine or tranny work will bring around $500-$700 in my area at the local consignment auctions. I dont personally get involved in buying any of them because parts tractors on those are rarely seen as compared to the abundance of soveriegn parts machines laying around. New TRransmission pumps are cashy.

they tell me that it won't lift attachments and that it mows and drives fine. that make me wonder. i'm not going to look at it till thurs so it gives me time to research it further.

Two things to check out, as you're making your decision? 1. Does it have the 2-speed range tranny/rearend, with High and Low speed ranges? 2. Does it have a 3-point hitch? Both of those are VERY desirable options and could make it a nice project to fix, even if there are problems with it...

1918 doesn't have hilow or locking diff. And 3 point is mostly useless because 2000 rpm rear pto is rarer that 3 point. Drive it yourself. see if there is a good hill. most of the hydro power is used in the drive. If it drives good without slipping I would check lift control valve hydro lines etc.

I thank you for your input! I had someone also tell me that the most common problem was the hyd filter and fluid when he herd of that problem. Cant be that easy, of could it??

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
1918 doesn't have hilow or locking diff. And 3 point is mostly useless because 2000 rpm rear pto is rarer that 3 point. Drive it yourself. see if there is a good hill. most of the hydro power is used in the drive. If it drives good without slipping I would check lift control valve hydro lines etc.
Ambler, were these only available on the 1920's? I think a 3-point could still still useful for boxblades, etc., even if the 2000 RPM PTO is hard to find implements for... With the popularity of the Kubota BX and its competitors, there's a lot of things that can be readily used on a Cat 0 by reversing the pins. As I understand it, for example, Keen Kutter makes a whole series of XB attachments that you can swap the pins to the inside and use them on a Cat 0... Even the 2000 RPM PTO could be useful for running water pumps, hydraulic pumps, etc., even if it is difficult to find tillers, mowers, etc., that'll handle 2000 RPM...

2000 RPM impliments are not that hard to find. It's the PTO that is very rare. As for the two speed and diff. lock, I believe it was only available on the 20's. You might want to check for power steering as well. It was an option on these.

I find my 3 point hitch very useful - despite my 20 hp not having the rear pto. As for the Jim's potential buy - I agree with the other poster above - drive it around, up & down some steep hills. If it makes it, the hydro pump should be good. Another potential cause if it won't lift is the o-ring seal in the lift ram. Bad part about that is I don't think they can be taken apart for repair. May need to find a different ram for it.

• 2 weeks later...
I do thank you all for your info, but I gonna have to pass in the 1918. It not only had hydro problems but what seemed to be an rear oil seal leak, whitch seems to be common???, and an inoperating pto. It was too much hassle for the price and not enough time in the day. But I hope to grab another one in the near future.