Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

T3606 miniature lamps

skunkhome

Does any one have a source for T3606 seal beam Headlamps? I have a 3414s and would like to reinstall the original cowl mounted "dual" headlamps but I can't seem to find the bulbs I need. Well, that isn't exactly true... as I did find a 12v T3606 "Projection Lamp" at $24.99 a pop. Is there some other "ba15d" base double contact bulbs you Simplicity 3400 & 7000 series and early A-C 700 owners are using to replace the original bulbs? I sure would like to get rid of those bug eyes on the front of my tractor but I can't see paying $100. for headlight bulbs.

Watch ebay for used bulbs. Also, here's a link for a topic on replacement options: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26195

Greg, Thanks, I will give this a try.... I especially like the 1156 bulb solution as it is pretty cheap. Like Cheap!

Has any one had any success with the new 1156 or 1157 white led bulbs? I tried the 1156 with a cheap flashlight reflector but the reflectors (plastic) melted,

http://www.google.com/products?q=t3606+miniature+lamp&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=dLl&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title#

Go to the garden center at Home Depot or Lowes. Look for the low voltage outdoor lights. You should be able to find those 12v bulbs fairly reasonable.

Juggler2, I'll certainly give it a shot but all I have found in 12v thus far have been some sort of push in connector not 15mm bayonet base as the T3606. The "3600" referenced in another thread on the same subject seems to be the best alternative but I would hate to spend $40.+ for a set of bulbs only to find that they don't work. It did not hurt the pocket book too much to try the 1156's with flashlight reflectors only to find that they melted. I did however cut my finger twice trying to drill out the reflector centers to accept the larger bulb.

CAUTION: To make this modification you must disconnect the ground leads of the light shroud under the tractor hood. Installing an 1156 bulb in a socket designed for a T3606 bulb without disconnecting the ground lead will result in a hard short and undesirable fireworks! I tried something a little different today. Since my reflectors, made of cheap flashlight reflectors melted, I decided to try making reflectors out of soft drink, can bottoms. They are not nearly as shiny as the flashlight reflectors but will not melt with the heat of the 1156 bulb. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the can then cut the concave portion of the bottom out using aviators sheers. I then used an old ring sizer to open the holes up to about a size 6-1/2 ring. The reflectors this produces are just about the same diameter as the t3606 bulb but the shallow bowl will make the 1156 bulbs into "flood" bulbs.

The edges of the "reflectors" are still a bit rough as I am still experimenting with them. If they proof to be what I need I will file them smooth.

This is the new setup using 6v current.

With 12v current they are pretty bright. The test will come when I install them on my tractor and put the cover plates over the fronts, I have a feeling that since the reflectors are about 1" behind the cover plates I am going to have issues with shadows caused by shining through the small round openings. I could get around this problem by painting the interior of the shroud black and replace the cover plate with a clear lens made of polycarbonate

I like your idea alot. You should also be able to polish the can to a highly relfective surface. An emergency fire starter can be made by polishing the bottom of a can "with toothpaste or whatever you have" to reflect the suns rays to get tinder started so this idea really has potential. OK now my inexperiance with lights has me curious to ask this question: The 1156 is a single contact and you said the T3606 is a double contact, how does that work for you?

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
1) You should also be able to polish the can to a highly relfective surface.... 2) OK now my inexperiance with lights has me curious to ask this question: The 1156 is a single contact and you said the T3606 is a double contact, how does that work for you?
Thomas, Forgive me for editing your quote... 1) I thought about polishing the reflectors but they are coated with a plastic film to keep them from oxidizing and I did not want to compromise that protection. I may try that and re-coat with polyurethane spray. For now I just want to get a workable beam. refinements will come later 2) Thanks for pointing this out! I put a big caution the the beginning of my last post. You are so right about the 1156 being a single post while the T3606 is a double post. In the T3606 one post is (+) while the other is (-). To use 1156 bulbs you must disconnect the lead attached to the negative ground under the hood, and let the 1156 bulb ground through the headlight shroud when attached to the hood. You may want to attach both leads to the positive feed on the tractor to prevent accidental reattachment to the ground. This of course is very important as leaving the ground lead hooked up and installing an 1156 bulb will cause fireworks. The single post in the middle of the 1156 will make contact with both posts in the lamp socket. I find that it works pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed my headlight pods with 1156 bulbs and soda can reflectors today and am very pleased with the looks and the results. I tried the lights this evening and found that they give a huge flood of light which lights about 1/8 acre.

Before.

After