Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 clutch ?

Hi all. This mite sound like a dumb question so bare with me. Apond diving my b 10 for the first time under its own power I went to put it in gear and got the most god allful grinding noise. Of course I recheck twice the 3/4" air gap or free play on the clutch rod. Did I miss something else? Do you start in gear with clutch disingaged? Or is it simply the wrong belt, for which its orgene I don't know It was on the tractor when I got it.??? Like I said mite be dumb but smart anough to ask.. 8o) polo

Hi Tim,
Do you have a "Guard Assembly, Belt" (as it's called in my Simplicity book) around the front pully?
I first thought of it as a guard but have come to the conclusion that it's really a 'belt brake' - it's
what stops the belt when the clutch is depressed. John

Tim, When I put a new belt on my B12 I had the same problem. I adjusted the guard over the drive pulley and no help. When ever I wanted to put the tractor in gear I had to reach back and stop the transaxle pulley from turning. I concluded that the new belt was to stiff and that the problem would go away as the belt got broke in. Well it's now be on the tractor for about a month and causes no problem at all, shifts just like it did with the old belt. Tim

I had the same problem. I found using an A-belt
eliminated most of the grinding,also it helps if you shift
to 1st gear first to stop the belt from freewheeling on it's own before
shifting to a taller gear.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem when I installed a new belt. Our local small engine genius said he thought you could make a "belt stopper". This would be a small piece of metal drilled and attached to the outboard side of the end of the idler pulley and bent at 90 degrees adjusted to drag against the belt slightly when the clutch is depressed.