Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Noisy Kohler

jdm

I just got a tractor with a 12 horse Kohler. It had a really disturbing (to me) noise low down when running. Not at all rpms though. Being sure in my mind it was about to blow I took it apart. Everything looks good to my eye, as far as rod and piston and crank. It has has been bored .10 over. The balance gears are really loose on their mountings.Can this make an (engine about to come apart) noise? I know some say to toss them and I probably will. Thanks, Jim

Hello, the balance gears can make a nasty noise, if they get loose i usually remove them as you need to tear apart the whole engine to replace the bearings.

I also have a Kolher K301. It just plan hammers, I think thats just how the are. Do a search for a old post of mine.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveP
I also have a Kolher K301. It just plan hammers, I think thats just how the are. Do a search for a old post of mine.
the timing needs to be set, and the famouse kohler chatter will go away. its a must do, unless you want to slowly cook ruin your motor.... just my 2 cents.......

Interesting. I've have to check the timing on the Kohler in my Ford LGT-125. It sounds Gawd awful. Thanks for the tip.

The 12 hp Kohler in my 7112 vibrates alot at low rpm, could it be due to the balance gears. The vibration goes away when the rpm increases. JH

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
How do you go about changing the timing when it is off? Is point gap the only way?
Yes, it is the only normal way I have heard of. Smaller gap=retard, larger gap=advance.