Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
samson

Duels or Weights?

HubbardRA
If you have duals and want to run a moldboard plow, you have to remove one of the outer wheels so the inner one will ride down in the furrow as Kent said. For tilling and plowing, I would recommend AG tires and weights. For soft ground or driving on hillsides, I would recommend duals. Basically, for general usage on level ground, duals will get in your way more than they will help.

john-holcomb
I use ags and weights on my 725 for plowing and rototilling. On the FDT's I would also recomend a front weight. With the moldboard plow when you get in tuff areas you can push foward with the lift handle to transfer draft from the plow to the tires for traction. lot like the traction boster on the big Allis's. That comment is for you D-17. Have fun I love plowing with mine and it does an excellent job.

skunkhome
We used to get along fine with turf tires, chains and weights on a B10 if plowing in previously worked ground. We would plow in the spring them use tiller rest of growing season for bed prep work. Then plow again in late fall and let rest til Spring plowing. We got along fine with turf tires for both tilling and plowing as long as we weren't breaking new ground. Using the manual lift lever to transfer weight to the rears worked every time though not quite as well as "traction booster". We never used the tiller on unbroken ground.

papamerkle
I use ags(dual on land side) and weights. My ag tires are 8.50s with fluid in them. I have 50 pounds of weight on the dead furrow side and up to 100 pounds of weight on the land side.

BLT
Roger, turf tires are fine for tilling and I have seen some pictures posted here with a turn plow being pulled with a B - 10 so also using turf tires. I guess it depends on what kind of ground you have.

KenK
My B-1 is set up like Perry's except I have duels on both sides.My duel spacer hold my tires pretty close together,about 12 inches.I tried plowing with the one duel off and did a lot of spinning.I have enough traction now,that when it gets tough going the front of the tractor will rise up off the ground.