Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Painting tips?

Unkle Spike

I know, search for it there are probably a ton of threads... I am thinking of repainting my 6216, no major rust, just surface stuff. So here are the questions: Seeing as it is only surface rust, should I just wet sand? Which paint, needs to be rattle cans? I don't have enough room in the blacksmith shop to get the tractor in. I see that Tractor Supply has "implement paint" is it any good? What would be the "official" Orange and beige in the brands you use? Can I get replacement decals somewhere? They are not scuffed up, and I could tape them off if I wet sand it. Any more tips and tricks would be appreciated, I have seen some darn nice restorations on here. OH and I spotted a tractor for sale at lunch.....but alas it was an old Cub Cadet for $200 and had no deck....

Jeff, Do a site search for "paint". Will turn up 15 pages of posts with paint in them. Should let you find anything you ask about.

Yes I need to not be so lazy, seeing as you are a moderator you can DELETE this thread.

I am in the process of painting my B-212. Heres what I did so far 1) Sanded with 80 grit paper on a commercial sander. 2) Used Airplane Paint Thinner to 'melt away' the old paint. This stuff is unbelievable. It took all the old paint right away. It is $35/ gallon but it is well worth the money. 3) Washed the parts down with white wall cleaner to remove the residue of the thinner and then wash with soap and water. 4) Sanded again with 80 grit paper to knock the left over paint. 5) Used a mushroom grinder to go over the surface rust spots. That took 6 hours to do the bunker head, hood, seat pan, side panels and front support. The rest will be done in the coming weeks. It is going to be primed and then painted at my families body shop.

i painted my 6218 with paint from tractor supply (the rattle kind) i don't have the the color but it was val spar i believe Allis orange for the hood i used rust oleum cream? from home depot

I painted this 2110 with AC Orange from Rural King, and a spray gun. The white is a Rustoleum spray bomb, not sure of the color at this moment. Used a DA sander with 220 to roughen up the old paint. Nothing special, it's a good job from far, but far from a good job. That's about it.

You may want to spend a little extra time at least on the hood and fenders and sand it down to bare metal. Wet sanding isnt really going to be enought to take the rust off. Then prime and paint it. I think you will be much happier with the outcome in the long run.

" Yes I need to not be so lazy, seeing as you are a moderator you can DELETE this thread." Never entered my mind. Just trying to help. Carry on,