Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

front spindle bearings

dav
i am finally getting to the point of putting the thrust bearings on the spindles. the tractor is a 2012 landlord. i have read and reread the article in the resource section. i vaguely remember a posting about keeping the washer square to the spindle. someone had made a jig to do it or had a little trick to hold it while the JBWeld set up. it is not in the resource article. can anyone tell me where to find the post? or how they did, or would, insure that the bottom washer is square to the spindle?

stevenj
Can't say that I remember a discussion about keeping it square to the kingpin, but you might want to try a set screw collar. The spindle and kingpin is 3/4" diameter. Tractor Supply or your local hardware store will stock a 3/4" set screw collar. Slide it down against the washer and lightly tighten the set screw. The face of the collar will be as square to the kingpin as you need. Come to think of it, you don't even have to buy one. You already have one on each spindle to hold on the wheel bearings.

GregB
That is what I used. I did coat the edge of the collar with lube though so that any JB weld that got on it would not stick. GregB