Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

engine idle not settling in

TomF
This is a question re. an older Briggs engine on a leaf blower. It starts and runs great. After a little warm-up, it seems to idle up and down, searching for that idle "sweet spot." We're thinking either we need to adjust the idle screw on the carb, or maybe adjust the governor. Can someone help direct our efforts on this one? Thanks! Tom and Peter Feldpausch

Hi Tom, It sounds to me like the carb might be just abit out of adjustment and possibly just fine tuning it will take care of the problem. I won't mess with the governor as it sounds to me like it doing its job. Question?? When you raise the engine speed "rpm's" does the engine smooth out? If so then try adjusting the idle speed screw and see what happens. Also make sure all carb linkage's are clean and the air filter also while your at it. It won't hurt to put some gas dryer in the gas tank just incase you have some condensation in the tank or float bowl. While your at it pull the float bowl cover off and make sure that its clean and no moisture is in it. If you are going to store it make sure you put some gas stablizer in the tank after you top it off and let it run for a few minutes so it has a chance to run thru the carb. I have had engines on leaf blowers for one that will hunt as you describe "but" it does not hurt a thing as the motor does not have a load on it and the governor is actually keeping the engine ready for a load to be put on it. One more thing is its possible that you might just have to raise the engine idle speed up just a hair and it may just level the engine idle out. Maybe others can add to this for you. Take care Tom, >>->happyjack<-<<