Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fitting a 10hp into a 725

John_RI

I’m sure this has probably been asked and answered before so I do apologize. Will a 10hp cast iron engine (243431) fit into a 700/725 frame without modifying the frame or will a triangle have to be cut out to clear the blower housing? Thanks, John

I have a 14 in my 61 Wards(Simp 700). I did not cut out my frame. I think cutting the frame is probably the easiest way. I used a hammer to put a large dent in the frame, then put a small flat on the edge of the engine shroud. I first had a 10 Hp B/S in it, then a 12 Hp Kohler, and now a 14 Hp Kohler. For the Kohler engines, I had to drill holes in the frame for the oil drain plugs which are on the bottom of the engine.

I installed a 10hp in my B-1.I cut the frame for clearance for the shroud.I also had to rig up a different starter/gen bracket so the S/G would clear the hood.

Ken's reply got me thinking. The 10 Hp B/S that I put on my tractor had a low-mount Starter-generator on it. The two Kohler engines both used Bendix type starters with an alternator under the flywheel. This is why I never had an interference problem with a S-G.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I'd have to make the hole but was hoping someone would say that it wasn't necessary. Also, thanks for the warning about the S/G issue. Two more questions: What would folks suggest I use to make the cut? I was thinking about a hole saw and then saws-all - or should I just use the torch? Can I just pull off the oil sump and rotate it 180 degrees? Thanks -

I used a hole saw and cutoff blade in a 1/4", 90 degree die grinder to cut the hole in my B-1. Think the sump can be rotated on your Briggs without a problem. Not sure about the S/G hood clearance.