Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repolarizing Flywheels

JBute

Just saw a message on the discussion forum that asked about repolarizing a flywheel when installing Magnetron ignition. I am thinking of putting Magnetron on the 16 Hp Briggs that I am rebuilding. Do I need to do this to my flywheel. If so how is it done. I have put 4 Magnetron systems on other Briggs engines and never done this or heard of this. They all ran okay after the conversion.Any help out there?? Jim Bute

Hi, Yes this needs to be done if the date code is before either 1980 or 1981. I called my Briggs rep and got the date code about 6 or 8 months ago and posted it, right know I don't remember the exact date code. Maybe someone else knows when I did it and where it is. Or what the date is. Briggs does not charge to do this, you only have to pay the shipping. Good Luck, Al

Hi Al, I did a search and found your date codes you posted back on 7-9-2000. JBute, if you need the codes check out message #2044 as thats when Al posted the date codes for flywheels that either do or don't need to be repolarized for the Briggs engines. But I will repost "Al's reply" any flywheel before #810801 or below needs to have it done. If the flywheel is newer then August 1th of 1981 unless it has been replaced with an older one does not need to be (written by Al). I hope this helps but you may want to double check me on this as I have a problem typeing at times. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

Good idea, Al, if I can figure out a good place to put it -- maybe in your upcoming B&S electrics section. I'd like to have a whole story on converting to a Magnetron ignition, if someone would volunteer to give up a step by step description (ideally with pictures). Anyone want to volunteer...