Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shaft Repair Question---

LesH

I broke a 1 inch dia drive axle off of a Peerless transmission-- it broke clean in two-- not near a keyway. Question-- anybody have any ideas on repair?? Bevel ends, align and weld??? Any techniques suggestions appreciated!!!

Find a piece of pipe that will just fit around the shaft and then weld each end to the old shaft. that should make it stronger than just welding end to end. as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else.

i would probably just make a new shaft, push off all gears, cut new keyways where needed..etc. a heck of a bevel would be needed, tho i have done it..having a straight shaft after you are done is the trick..you can mount between centers short tack, turn, tack..etc, then make straight, turn down in lathe..or centers with a grinder. other options..as above, or snub end that is press fit into shaft and weld around, in the end it is faster to make a shaft. scott

Hi, I would buy a new shaft. We had a shaft made for an 811 transaxle this winter out of cold rolled steel and it didn't last 10 hours plowing snow and the bearings nearly cut it in two. We had an availability problem at the time and tried to help a guy out. NO MORE of these. If you try to weld it and are on a steep bank with the weld down, with the most stress on it and it breaks , the tractor could roll over on you and a new properly hardened one would look cheap. Unless you are looking for someone to sue for damages for welding it and it not "protecting" you, I would fix it right. Al Eden

Most of these shafts are made out of hardened steel of some sort, and welding them is iffy at best. Welding it probably would change the properties of the steel anyway, making it either soft or brittle. I have to agree with Al's point, it will fail at the most inoportune moment, possibly with disasterous results. Sorry for the bad news, but even as cheap as I am, and having a welder of my own, I would replace it.

I would say that you should buy a new shaft. Welding almost never works. I have built several pulling tractors and welded driveshafts and axles. In some instances they can be welded up and will work. In most cases they eventually break again. The only way to prevent problems is to have the shaft heat treated after the welding. This helps (you need to know the heat treating specifications) but the welding rod is still a different material than the shaft and will not always work like an original shaft.