Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tough choice

Went to my Briggs dealer to buy an air filter for the 12HP on the B112. He had the OEM foam filter for $8.00 and a paper filter he said would fit the filter housing for $11.00. I considered the pros and cons here. Foam (pros: OEM, Cheaper, Reusable - Cons: none) Paper (Pros: None - Cons: non-OEM, costs more, disposable)
I carefully pondered this for 3 nano-seconds and bought the foam.
Tim

Hi Tim, this is what I found out also as the paper ones are like you said just to expensive. thanks friend -jackl

Ah - but did know you can also buy the foam pre-filter wrap? It will extend the life of the paper element - good for those who want double protection if in dusty conditions. But like anything else its only good if you look under the cover once in a while and keep it clean. You wouldn't beleive the amount of grass/debris buildup I find in some - 1/2" thick all around - it looks like a bird nest!

Jeff, Yes I did know about the foam pre-filter for the paper element. Several years ago I bought a paper filter and foam jacket but did not like the way it fit in the housing. The paper filter is about an inch taller the than the the foam filter and left the upper filter hosing sticking up too high. I was also concerned that the hard plastic ends would not make a good seal with the housing. Tim