Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mounting points for dozer blade

skunkhome

I have never had a dozer blade and now have a Sears that I plan to build a conversion mount for. I noticed that there were a couple of tabs on the front of the axle in addition to the mounting points used for the mover. Which mounting points do I use on the front axle of 3400 series Simplicity?

It depends on how you are going to mount the blade. I have mounted a couple items, that had the complete hitch from the other make attached when I got it. I mounted a Wheel Horse blade to my tractor. Since the hitch on the blade had a pivot on it, I just attached two plates to the front axle by pins thru the two holes on each mount. I used 1/4 x 2 strapping long enough to reach the blade mount. I then welded the mount that came with the blade to those straps, which could be removed by pulling the pins. I mounted a Sears snowblower to my tractor in the same manner and used the Sears pivot and lifting arm. I recently mounted a Johnny bucket(that was off a Cub Cadet, with hitch) to a friend's tractor. As I did for the others, I made the axle mounts, then welded the Cub hitch to them. This technique has been working for me, and it is much easier than re-making the entire hitch. I usually do have to modify the lift arm and sometimes make a new lift rod. Here is the WheelHorse blade mount.

Here is the Sears snowblower mount.

Rod, I was thinking of cutting out two "L" shaped brackets out of 1/4" plate and bolting them to the sides of the triangular shaped pivot plate on the Sears plow. I would cut a 3/4" hole to accept horizontal pivot rod on Sears mount.

Hi Phil, What did you draw your part with? Like your profile picture. Is similar to mine. As a Facility Maintenance Manager you have my sympathy. Was on call 24/7 for 30 years. Took a year after I retired to stop cringing when the phone at home rang. Carry on,

Phil, That looks like it would work. I traded off the Sears snowplow that I had, so I can't tell you exactly whether it will work or not. If you are happy with it, then so am I. I was just saying that many of the attachments can be made to work with a little elbow grease. Just for information, neither of the items that I show above will pivot at the axle, they both use their built in pivots. They both fasten solid to my front axle. The WheelHorse blade above has been around. I made it for my 61 Wards to push snow. It has been on my 716H to spread and level a load of bluestone on my driveway. It is now at my son's house where he was spreading pea gravel on his driveway with his 64 Landlord. It fits all three of those tractors and uses the same lift rod.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Hi Phil, What did you draw your part with? Like your profile picture. Is similar to mine. As a Facility Maintenance Manager you have my sympathy. Was on call 24/7 for 30 years. Took a year after I retired to stop cringing when the phone at home rang. Carry on,
Roy, I have a cheap program called "AutoCAD" that I picked up at Walmart on a clearance table 8-9 years ago for about $9. It leaves a lot to be desired but the more I use it the better I get at it. It gets a lot of use both at home with my private business and at the school.