Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loud bangs in gear

mmischni

Hi guys, I noticed that my landlord is making some loud bangs in gear. Tends to be most prevalent when letting the clutch in slow and when going from forward to reverse. Sometimes, when slipping the clutch it bangs randomly multiple times. It sure doesn't sound like a good noise. The tractor is never at speed when it happens, so the tranny parts aren't moving too fast, right? My thought is the only thing moving with speed enough to make noises that loud is the BGB. Any one seen (or heard) this before? I suppose it won't hurt me to drain and inspect the gears anyhow... Thanks, Matt

Check to see if the six bolts that hold the tranny side plates to the BGB have come loose. Had a similar problem with my hydro that ended up being loose bolts.

Those bolts WERE loose when I got the tractor, but not now. Plus it is not a nice friendly clunk like loose parts might be expected to make. It is more like what you would hear with a good sharp rap of a hammer on the frame.

is your belt stop in place and adjusted correctly? and do you have a simplicity belt? before this site my MW Gmark squire used to grind like mad. Once I found this site, I realized that the belt size was wrong and the belt stop was not operating properly. Just a thought. jh

Not sure what year your Landlord is. If it is an older one, check the left side rear wheel hub and make sure the keyway is not wobbled out and letting the axle turn quite a ways before the key stops it from moving. You can also check for the same type of motion in the right side where the axle attaches to the gear inside the diff. I replaced an axle because of a wobbled out keyway where the gear attaches. If you pull the diff off to check this, also look at the spider gears inside the diff. I have heard of at least one person finding broken gears in there. You can also check for play in the BGB, since a similar keyway problem can occur in there. These places are external to the tranny and much easier to fix than inside the tranny. I would check them before going inside the tranny.