Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Elec. ignition...Looks like I'll keep my points

mmischni

Hi all, I swapped in a generic ignition module from Jack's this weekend. Nothing wrong with the points, I just thought for $12 it would be worth not having to deal with interesting points and condenser failures down the line. Well, the tractor wouldn't start with the new module. It would pop and cough a bit. I remembered reading something here about having to hit a certain rpm to get some modules to fire. So I hooked the battery (now getting pretty flat from much cranking) to a car. With the car running, it spit and coughed and started. It ran beautifully once started, and sometimes would start on it's own shortly after shutting down. But if it sat for 10 minutes or so, it wouldn't start without a jump. I now have my points back in and it starts almost instantly, even from cold. Is this the proverbial problem with requiring high rpms for the electronic modules? Any modules that are better suited? As always, Thanks! Matt

My thoughts on replacement of working points were: Many a headache comes from diagnosing points and condenser problems with worn plungers, pitted points, wrong gap, changing gap, bad condenser, intermittently bad condenser, etc. Also, as I was already making an order,
quote:
I just thought for $12 it would be worth not having to deal with interesting points and condenser failures down the line
I was looking for confirmation that perhaps this was a starting rpm issue and if there were other options. At some point, I will need to replace the points/condenser and I wouldn't mind upgrading an old maintenance-intensive unit with a superior solution, if one exists for these engines. Obviously the module I got was not a superior solution :) Matt

Matt, I am an "easy-fix" type person. I feel that the points and conderser "are" an easy fix. I like an external coil with points and condenser. Don't get an ignition that is much easier to fix than that. I have had such bad luck with electronic ignitions, that I don't trust them at all. Anyway, some people have had great luck with the modules like you installed. Some have had problems and not gotten them to work. I am not sure there has been a consensus about why they don't seem to work well on some tractors, while on others they work great and are basically maintenance free. I will say that with points an engine will start at a much lower rpm.

I purchased the universal electronic ignition module from Jacks for my 16hp single cylindar BS and it works great. Starts goods runs super.

I had the same problem on two different tractors. On my 7016, one time while cranking it backfired so loud I couldn't hear for ten minutes. My wife thought I blew up.

I've had great luck with the ignition modules. I've installed them in (3) 243431 10HP B&S cast iron engines with no problems.

The points generated spark on my recently acquired HB-110 was weak and unreliable when I got it. I installed a:

It's my first experience with an electronic ignition module and I'm very pleased. The spark is very strong and reliable and makes starting easy.

Roy, Got the MegaFire last fall on e-Bay from ellisonrepair located in Washington State.

I have used these points replacers From NAPA and another one from some where else and I have found they work great on some tractors and not so good others it almost makes me wonder if it has something to do with the coils maybe one was better then the other, JMO

I also installed a Mega-Fire ignition that I got off ebay. I put it on my old Big Ten this winter when I was having weak spark, hard starting problems. It starts up now easyer than it ever has and I've never had any back fire issues. So far so good. -Paul