Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheelhorse Workhorse (pics added)

EricD

Just brought this home. Model GT16000 with four speed hi/low transaxle. Twin Briggs 16hp runs good. 1984 year. Came with plow plastic weights and chains. It'll need some tlc definitely front bearings to get the slop out of the rims. If the Sears brand cab fits this'll be the new plow machine. Has left clutch pedal right brake pedal. Two arms, one for lifting the plow one for angling. Pretty heavy duty. BTW, with the purchase the guy threw in a little Simplicity walk behind tiller for parts..

I'm planning on going to the Orange show, this tiller will be available for cheap. Don't think it turns over guy said it doesn't and I took his word (the head is not tight and it was outside).

Those are nice tractors to use. The GT series were the cheap version of their regular 300/400 series. With these you didnt get the "dial a heighth" option, you got a cheaper Briggs engine, a smaller steering wheel, and the cheaper smooth front tires.Otherwise they were basically the same as the red ones. The blade is my favorite for plowing snow. Much better than the Simplicity style. Being hitched at the rear axle you get better control and traction. I used one to plow snow on a C-160 and then a 314 for a number of years when we lived in town. The decks mow nice too. The 48 does a much better job than the 42 in my opinion. Kind of opposite of Simplicity where the 42 is better than the 48. I currently mow my yard mainly with a Wheel Horse and a 48" deck.

Thanks for the info Sam. I like the twin Briggs and really don't consider it a downgrade. The only other thing I have been told is that the rear ends in the GT series are not built to the same standard as the counterpart 8spd trannies. That seems odd but haven't met anyone yet to say they've had these apart and compared. I really would like to put a dual stage blower on this with a cab. I've got a Sears Cab but can't justify altering it so will hold out.

Never heard that about the trannies. As far as I was aware they were the same except for the paint, but I could be wrong I suppose, though it wouldnt make good financial sense to make a seperate assembly line for a "cheaper ' 8 speed. That would in itself cost more. Stick with a single stage Wheel Horse blower. They work alot better and are indestructable coompared to the 2 stage. I have used both types and just dont care for the 2 stager as its easy to gut the worm gear for the auger and they plow at about half the pace as the single stage. They throw the snow farther, but thats the only advantage. the single stagers are fairly available used and price is fairly decent on the 36 " versions. The 42" version can be quite cashy if you can even find them. Just about any 36" blower made for this type tractor with front hitch and clutch setup from around 1968 to present will fit it.

Thanks for the info Sam. I'll stick with finding a single stage set up. As far as the rear end, your logic sure does make sense to me. It held up to some heavy pulling yesterday. The hi/low on these is a real nice feature.

They work great with a roto tiller on them too, but you have to have the rear lift bracket, bushings, cable tube and cable to lift it. Most of the time the used tillers dont come with all that, just the tiller, tiller hitch that goes under the axle and the belt puleys & belt. Oh and also take a look at the frame where it bolts to the transmission t the front of the tranny. There is a tendancy for cracks develop there. Seems like there was one other place but I cant remember where. I've had quote a few Wheel Horses over the years and had to weld a few up.

i just picked this one up about 2 weeks ago. its a C-111. this i guess is the start of the GT series. it has a 11hp horiznal briggs, HI-LO rearend , and this one has the hieght control knob. this is the first one of these i have seen. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/WH800035.jpg[/IMG] notice the left side is set up just like a GT. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/WH800024.jpg[/IMG]

I dont know about the C-111, but the 11 HP GT Series had a bearing plate that bolts to the block with a bearing in it to support the output shaft. I imagine the twin briggs have this same plate. I mention this because if anyone tries to use a replacement aluminum block Briggs without this plate the lateral stress from the PTO will cause excess wear on the pan around the shaft and ruin the engine eventually.

The rear ends are built a little cheaper on the GT series..One has a 8 pinion and one is a 4 pinion and also one has 1 1/8" axles and the other is 1" axles..Although I have heard that pullers use either rear end without problems so its still strong..

Good information guys, thanks. Any thoughts on transplanting the twin briggs into something along the lines of a C111? Would it work/fit without lots of modifications? Also interested in your opinions of the WH hydro's like the 418 A or 520 A . I might want to move in that direction if I consolidate some of my older stuff.

I like em all. Ive had a 417A 418A, 520 H, 314H, C160, C-161, C-120, C-141, C 101 8speed, GT1142, Charger 12, Charger 10, GT14, and probably a dozen others I have forgot about. the only hydro I had problems with was the 1992 314H. After about 1300 hours a bolt workled loose in the differential messing that transmission up. heard of that re-occurring problem in the D series, but never in the smaller tractors.

quote:
After about 1300 hours a bolt workled loose in the differential messing that transmission up. heard of that re-occurring problem in the D series, but never in the smaller tractors.
Hello Sam, The problems that I had with the above was not in the hydro drive part of the transmission but in the differential part. The rear carrier that houses the pinions is two pieces held together with bolts(5/16") On both my B-80 4 speed and my D-160 (Sunstrand)the bolt(s) worked loose, sheared off and got caught in-between the ring gear and the case. The case lost on both tractors. Other than that I am with you on Wheelhorse being one of my favorites. I also have a few: B-80, C-101, C-141, 418A and the D-160. Eric, The 418A is a nice machine and has taken a LOT of abuse with the front blade on it. It seems to finish grade and plow better than the Simplicity/Allis Chalmers... Andy Waldorf Md.