Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will this work?

skunkhome

I noticed that the plug was knocked out of the Carburetor intake when I got it home Sunday.

I fabricated a plug out of the bottom of a soda can and epoxied it in place.

Will this work or will it blow out with the first backfire?

Looks good Phil. I've gotten one with a plastic plug in it before. What's the electrical tape for?

I have used a golf ball in an emergency until I could get a new plug. It will plug the opening quite nicely.

I have taken those plugs out of one carb and installed them in another. I just recently sent johnmonkey a plug that I knocked out of an old carb body. They should be readily available at a small engine shop. I have used plastic caps that were taped on when I didn't have the right plug laying around. Whenever I install a new one, I always make sure to stake it in about 6 spots so that it won't come out on its own.

Phil, If that epoxy you used is JB Weld or something like that, then it ought to hold good. :)

I have had those come out before and epoxied it back in. You can still buy them new. I ran without it but it will let dirt get in.

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Looks good Phil. I've gotten one with a plastic plug in it before. What's the electrical tape for?
The "pcv" tube (not sure if that is correct) or tube that is supposed to be attached to the valve cover is missing and "they" covered the hole in the carb intake with tape. Once I get this thing running I am going to rig something to replace the tube.

A new one will run you about $5.20 at your nearest Briggs dealer. Briggs part #691512 - TUBE-BREATHER

me and my dad used a frost plug and silicone on our b10 when we relized we had lost our plug. matt