Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sunrunner

loss of power when mower is engaged

sunrunner
Just picked up another 6216 - Question is that it runs fine - bopping around and up some steep hills - now I have yet to give it a good once over,but when I engage the mower it looses power BADLY - and it is hard to engage(not smoothly) like the others - Would it most likely be the deck or the engine - I will check the deck tomorrow for binding....would this make the engine loose power(like running in first gear when in second) this much? Looking for a few first thoughts - Thanks??

RalphABlack
After checking the deck to see if there is any binding. I would replace the gov. spring. My 6218 did just about the same thing and when I change the gov. spring.....Wow!!! what a difference it made. I hope this helps you.....Ralph

sunrunner
G-Spring looks good - 422707 0130 early carb - deck is adjusted to manual specs - still loss of power - would this mean I might have a bad cylinder? Is there an easy way to check this? I will check spark when the tools arrive....sm00

sunrunner
One last post for tonight....I read somewhere that if you turn the flywheel in the opposite direction of normal running you can feel the compression - on the new 6216 it takes two revolutions then I feel resistance - on my 6218 I feel resistance on every revolutions - would this lead me to believe I have bad cylinder....??

firefoxz1
I would say yes. It does sound like you possibly have a bad/dead cylinder. I have not found a Briggs opposed twin though with a bad cylinder that hasn't smoked or made bad noises yet. I would pull the plugs and turn the engine and see if you can see both pistons moving. If it was the deck I think you would have smell the belt burning if it dragged the engine down that much.

sunrunner
Thanks - Carb looks fine - I will check the piston/spark plug tonight - There is a slight short tick or rattle at full throttle but only for a moment - nothing constant, no smoke at all and the exhaust does not smell unusualsm00:Y....Thanks