Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Case lawn tractor question

KraigRG

Drove by a Case lawn tractor the other day that was for sale. I am going to stop and look at later in the week if I get a chance. Anyone know if Case made their own lawn tractor or if someone else made them for Case? Also anyone had experience with these. Looks almost like an old Broadmoor. I'd say it was made sometime in the '60s. Has a snowblower and mowing deck that also look similar to Simplicity. I'll try to take pics if I stop and look. Thanks, Kraig

I have worked on a couple 400 series Case Tractors, and as far as I know, they are made by Case, but I could be wrong- Andrew

Case, Colt and Ingersoll are all the same machines... I think Colt was the original company which also made Case machines. Colt was then later bought by Ingersoll, as I recall... Certainly could be wrong, but I think that's the case -- no pun intended... :O

Colt was one of the pioneers of the all hydraulic tractor and made an excellent machine before most companies knew what a hydrostatic transmission was. Like Simplicity and Allis, Casesaw Colt and colt was gone. Case built an excellent tractor for many years untill times got tuff and then Ingersol takes the helm. I think like Allis with Simplicity, Case's were built in the old Colt plant throughout, but I'm unsure of that. Anyway the tall wheel Case's are an excellent tractor and still command a steep price in most area's. Parts are a little costly for major componets. JW

I drove by the Case tractor you saw KraigRG today on my way to Jim's Power Land. You'r right.....looks like a Broadmoor to me too at a glance. I hope you get it. ..........Ralph

Orginally called Colt and then Case and now Ingersol. Case garden tractors were either the 200 series with the 12" wheels or 400 series with the larger (15"?) rear wheels. The singles were Kohlers and the twins were Onan. So a 222 was a 12hp Kohler and the 444 was a 14hp Kohler and the 448 was an 18hp Onan. They are a hydraulic drive NOT a hydra-static drive. The good: They are a well built tractor with some clever hydraulic driven attachments. The bad: The engine sits in backwards and blow all engine heat back to the driver. In the summer the dash can get so hot you can burn yourself. The mower deck is crude (square with no rounded corners) and does a poor job of mowing (not even close to a simplicity cut) plugs easy and scalps. You need a very smooth lawn with the Case.

I own a case 130 it is a 1965 very well built tractor it is all original it now needs cosmetic restoration but still runs like new