Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO on 7000 series

mbsengineer

Based on the posts made in the following topic, it seems like you can take any snowblower designed for a 7000 series and mount it with the hitch/bracket from a 7100 series, and power it from the center PTO ... and the only additional item required is a different belt. Is this correct? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82020&SearchTerms=front%2Bpto Also, does the 101 Landlord use a similar front PTO setup as the 7000 ... such that I could remove it from the 101 and put it on a 7000 series with no modifications? Lastly, if the 101 does NOT use a similar PTO setup, how are the snowblowers powered? (perhaps a direct drive pulley?)

Welcome if I haven't said it yet. No that is not correct although it may work for you. Read this article, near the end is a good explaination of the difference: http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm The Landlord used a clutching action pulley assembly on the mounting hitch from a fixed PTO pulley where the 7000 used fixed pullies on the mount and a PTO clutch pulley something like the center cone clutch.

I actually had read this a couple times. However, the one key thing I missed was the fact that the IDLER pulley was being moved. When I read it before, I thought he was talking about the drive pulley. That's why I was so confused. Okay, this makes sense to me now. I thought the answer to these questions would solve my root problem. However, I still have no clear solution. My problem is that I can get a snowblower unit from a 101 Landlord for a good price. I have an AC-712 (7012 Simp.). I have not seen the blower unit yet, but (since it is working on his 101) I assume it has all the parts required by the 101. Since my tractor doesn't currently have a front PTO, I'm wondering what would be the best method to adapt this blower to my 712? It sounds like the easiest would be to find a front PTO kit, and that should be all I need. Correct? However, I've been looking (here, Ebay, etc) over the past week, and haven't seen anything yet. Although, based on your response, since it currently should have a clutch unit built into the hitch assembly, maybe I can just use that?? However, since I've read that many people find running off the center PTO much better anyway, I was thinking of going that route. (which is what prompted my post) All recommendations/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I'm Not 100% on this but a couple of years ago I thought I could do this on a 3410, I had a Front PTO for the 3410, But what I found was the Hitches and the blowers are different from a FDT and RBT.. and won't interchange directly...

I did not read all of the post but this is something that I have done. The Pre-1971 blowers are one inch shorter that the newer blowers. The 7100 series tractors went to the center PTO drive after the first year of production. So you need to make sure that your 7100 series has the two position idler on the center PTO. I have run an older blower on a 7100 series by welding a one inch extesion into the hitch, this allowed me to use the standard 144.1 inch belt. I ran the same blower on a 7000 series using a shorter belt, I do not remember the length, and making a special shim-spacer to change the angle on the center PTO idler belt. I also ran this blower on a B-112 using a shorter yet belt. Both of the blower setups that I had went to SmilinSam, he may still have them.

Add this 7100 series side plate to your 7000 series tractor and your center PTO will be all set to drive a blower: http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Simplicity-Tractor-Mower-900-series-trans-plate_W0QQitemZ140132124619QQihZ004QQcategoryZ82242QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem You'll still need the newest style hitch and if you use the older style blowers, they have a smaller driven pulley and have a different attaching weldment on the blower body.

quote:
Based on the posts made in the following topic, it seems like you can take any snowblower designed for a 7000 series and mount it with the hitch/bracket from a 7100 series, and power it from the center PTO ... and the only additional item required is a different belt. Is this correct?
A blower from a 3300, 3400, 7000 series will work on a 7100 series with out modification to the blower with a 7100 series hitch and uses the 7100 series blower belt. A blower from an older than 3300 series (FDT) will work by changing the 5" driven pulley to a 7" driven pulley.
quote:
Also, does the 101 Landlord use a similar front PTO setup as the 7000 ... such that I could remove it from the 101 and put it on a 7000 series with no modifications? Lastly, if the 101 does NOT use a similar PTO setup, how are the snowblowers powered? (perhaps a direct drive pulley?)
The 7000 series uses a manual clutch on the PTO shaft. The 101 uses a direct drive pulley on the PTO shaft and an idler pulley clutch in the hitch. The 101 blower uses a 5" driven pulley this would need to be changed to a 7" driven pulley to be used on the 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100 series tractors to be used efficiently

• 1 month later...
So, based on Les' and PhanDad's comments, here is what I understand... Any snowblower intended for a 7000 or 7100 series will bolt on my AC-712 without a problem. Blowers for the 7000 series were intended to run from the front mounted PTO clutch, but by adding a longer belt and lowering the idler via the bracket recommended by PhanDad (or making my own), I could use the center PTO. Blowers for the 7100 series were intended to run from the center PTO, thus if I got one of these I would be required to mod. the center idler. Also, it's my understanding that these each would require a different length belt. Is there anything I'm missing, or does this cover it? Also, does anyone know the length of belt required in each of these scenarios? ... and where to purchase one? Thanks for everyone's help!

This sounds like you have got it pretty good, but I the way I understand it better is by separating the hitch from the blower. A 7000/7100 blower is the same in general, but it is the hitch that makes the difference. So if you got a 7000/7100 blower with a 7000 two idler pulley hitch and wanted to run off the center PTO with your 712 AC, you would need to modify the hitch idler(s), and slightly modify the center pto idler and get a long belt. If you got a 7000/7100 blower with a 7100 single idler pulley hitch and wanted to run off the center pto with your 712 AC, you would only need to slightly modify the center pto idler and get a longer belt. The belt length if you want to run off the center pto on a 712 AC 7000 series is _supposed_ to be 139" (belt is P/N 1678241). http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27191&SearchTerms=139,belt, I have run a blower on my 700 series AC off the center pto, and it had a 7000 series hitch that someone else modified to be one pulley, and I just bent a small piece of steel with two holes in it to attach and align the center PTO backside idler to line up better. I have never measured my belt length though...
quote:
Originally posted by mbsengineer
So, based on Les' and PhanDad's comments, here is what I understand... Any snowblower intended for a 7000 or 7100 series will bolt on my AC-712 without a problem. Blowers for the 7000 series were intended to run from the front mounted PTO clutch, but by adding a longer belt and lowering the idler via the bracket recommended by PhanDad (or making my own), I could use the center PTO. Blowers for the 7100 series were intended to run from the center PTO, thus if I got one of these I would be required to mod. the center idler. Also, it's my understanding that these each would require a different length belt. Is there anything I'm missing, or does this cover it? Also, does anyone know the length of belt required in each of these scenarios? ... and where to purchase one? Thanks for everyone's help!

I think you "got it". Bottom line: The snowblower "heads" for the 7000 and 7100 series tractors are pretty much all the same (7" driven pulley and larger attaching weldment to house the 7" pulley). The hitches are different (front driven for 7000 series, center driven for 7100 series). The center PTOs are different on the 7000 and 7100 series tractors (left tranny side plate and idlers/assembly). The snowblowers for the FDT are different (both snowblower head and hitch). And as an aside, in my experience, the largest diameter pulley you can effectively install on an old FDT snowblower head is 6.5". The 7.0" diameter pulley is just too tight a fit.