Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Alpha8D

Advise please on used tractor I'm looking at.

Alpha8D
Here's the package for sale: Soverign 1692945 SN 50045, 18hp twin V Kohler, Hydro, power lift. Snow Cab 48" mower deck 1691219 SN 52104 Snow Thrower 1691522 SN 50565 Chains Date on the manuals I printed from Simplicity is 2002. Everything looks almost new. Not a scratch on the paint anywhere, tires still have fins on the tread from new, no wear on chains, mower blades original and never sharpened. The seller is selling it for an older widow. Hubby bought it shortly before he died and never had yard or driveway enough to really use it anyway. It was priced at $4000 and dropped to $3500. Has not sold and I think cash could take it for considerable less. Questions: What is a fair price? What would new comparable cost? Were there any problems with this model either hydro or that 2 cyl Kohler? Oh yea, and one dumb one..can you go from forward to reverse without using the clutch on this hydro? I've never driven one. I currently have a 1967 vintage 10hp Landlord with blower, plow, mower and grader. It works fine but my wife can't handle the 3 speed and clutching. I'll keep this old bare tractor and sell off my present blower and deck if I buy the Soverign. All advise appreciated. Thanks, Jim

PhanDad
Could be a good deal (steal IMO with all the attachments) at $3500 (based on prices in my area), but it would depend on what engine is in it. Looked at the operators manual and two engines are listed, the older Kohler Command OHV and the dreaded Kohler OHC, TH18S engine. The OHC is the problem engine. Lots of failures based on posts in this forum. The OHV engine is a good one. No clutch operation is required, just slide the control lever from forward to reverse and you reverse direction. You'll also love the hydraulic lift. Some might even buy it and repower it; they don't make them like this anymore.

JP
Atsa TH series. I put a new set of rings in mine, doesn't seem near as bad now. I wasn't expecting to do that after only 200 hours of use. Apart from that, You WILL enjoy the tractor! There's a ton of attachments available & you'll have to work at wearing it all out! For me, it's the workhorse while the Pmax's have the loaders & backhoes hooked up! LOL JP

Alpha8D
Thanks guys! So I guessI can figure on repowering it in future. I have an old 12hp Briggs that needs a rebuild I could use when the time comes. I'm told it can be rebored to 16hp. It's the Synchro-Balanced engine with the counter weights and came off a late 1960s Soverign. Does anyone know if it would fit? Briggs numbers on the shroud are 300421 0127-01-7002121.

Roy
Great tractor except for the dreaded Triad THC-18 OHC engine as pointed out above. I bought mine new in September, 1999 and, after the engine was replaced with a Kohler Command OHV under warranty, it has been enjoyable and trouble free. The original OHC engine failed at 107 hours. I did block the spring on the hydro shift linkage to prevent down hill runaway and switched from gull wing mower blades to straight blades to reduce mower blow-back.

andrewk
Keep the engine clean, and it should be ok- Alot of these failed because of grass plugging the cooling fins- There are other problems too, but Kohler fixed most of them. You dont really bore an engine to a projected horsepower- If you are talking about turning a 12 into a 16, I think there is more to it than just boring the cylinder out to the dimensions of the standard 16 piston, but I could be wrong. I would look at buying a CH series Kohler before I did all that work to that old briggs- but it's you baby as they say- The engine should fit, but you will need to rewire the tractor for the briggs ignition system, since its different than the Kohler- hope this helps Andy