Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this a repower match?

Alpha8D

Does anyone know if a Briggs Synchro-balanced 12hp 300421 0127-01-7002121 will fit into a 2002 (I think) Soverign 1692945 SN 50045 in place of the original Kohler 2 cyl 54511 which I'm told is a lemon? Also would the 12hp be enough to mow? Based on an earlier post I believe there is an option to rebore the 12 hp Briggs to 16hp. PS this is sort of a follow up to my earlier post today asking for advise on the used tractor for sale. All advise appreciated. Thanks, Jim

I would think the 12 would be enough power as the HB112 used that same 12hp briggs to run both a hydrostat and the 48" deck. It should bolt in but you may need to use a different oil pan and or drill and tap the block to accept a dipstick, if it doesn't already have one.

The last Sovereign rolled on the production line in June of the year 2000. I have put both a cast iron Briggs and a 12 hp Kolher in different 900 seriese tractors and I can tell you what problems you will encounter. The Briggs will bolt into the Sovereign frame, the hood has plenty of clearance. The drive shaft will be too short. You can either get a used shaft from a parts tractor, or make spacers. The wiring will be entirely different, what I did was use the entire wiring system from a parts tractor, it was bolt on. The throttle and choke cables will require some re-rigging or replacement with used parts made for the Briggs. You may have to re-route the muffer depending on what you got. The 12 horse had plenty of power for a snowblower, it was a little underpowered for the 48" deck but will work.

OOPS! Forgot one thing. You will have to pull the base off of the Briggs and turn it around, this is to allow you to drain the oil. This is assuming that the newer Sovereign frames are the same as the 900 series. I have never looked at one that closely so you should check the frame before you start the project. You will have to buy a new gasket, also would be a good time to clean all of the oil sludge out of the base. I am assuming that your Briggs engine already has the base for a Simplicity tractor, the motor will not mount without the proper base.

Thanks Les, This old 12hp came out of a Simplicity Soverign late 1960s so it at least fits the older frame soverign. What you describe all sounds do-able. So I have an ace on the hole so to speak if the original engine poops out. Thanks for your advise. Jim

If the frame on the Soverign is cut low enough like the Kt and Magnum twin powered ones the older 12 may fit. If its cut high it may not work. The critical point is the fill neck on the pan on the older BRiggs. I know on the older 7000 series I had to notch the frame to access the oil fill/check on the oler 12 I put in that. Gee Les, Hearing about all that work you went through on your old babies, now I almost feel bad I parted them out. Never the less, one hood with Agco decals is on my kids tractor, and other parts from them helped repair a couple more around here as well as other other people own, so all was not really lost I guess. I think the Kohler went on to repower a B-12:D if I remember right.

2000 was the last year for the sovereign. A 18-20hp command would be my choice. Is it a TH18 engine? or a CH18? The 12 will be underpowered with the hydro and a 48" with hydro lift.