Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs vs kohler

jimcadigan

Just wondering if there is a Briggs vs kohler rivalry like there is a Ford vs Chevy and what are the ups and downs and the likes and dis likes? I currently have a 17hp kohler series II on my ac 917, and I'm trying to talk someone into to selling me their 7116 with a single cyl 16 hp Briggs. I want the tractor and the motor, both are running good,but the kohler does puff a smoke at start up for a second and just wondering which power plant is better to use, or keep, or to swap. I was planning on using the 7116 for mowing and everyday use and the 917 for winter work etc...

D'oh, is there a rivalry??? You betcha. Many opinions on this site, with some folks swearing they'd never have a xxxxxx in their tractor. I think both companies have made good engines over the years except for the Kohler TH18 OHC Triad engine. Many more problems reported with that particular engine than any other. The main thing for any air cooled engine is to keep the cooling fins clean and the crankcase full of oil. Also, the first Kohler KT17 engine had more problems than the Series II (loss of lubrication running on slopes), and other KT17 failures have been reported due to clogged cooling/low oil level issues - they seem to be less forgiving than the older single cylinder engines. I'm partial to old Briggs cast iron single cylinder engines, but I do have a 12HP Kohler K301 single cylinder which is a fine engine. The old Briggs 16HP seems to have lots of torque and I like the way it sounds. I'm sure this post will bring a bunch of responses; Briggs vs Kohler aways does.

My preference is Briggs, they are easier to work on, fewer parts, and Kohler has had some reliability problems at times. Altough the older Kohlers are fine engines. The Kohler Magnum twins are awsome engines, maybe the best ever made! The Kohler OHC was horrible. Kohler even came out with an improved "Type II" OHC which wasn't much better. The older Briggs are famous for being finicky when starting. I hate Onans because the price of their parts is extremely expensive. The only use that I might have for a Tecumseh is extra weight in the back of the truck, or maybe a boat anchor. Overall, my vote goes to Briggs due to simplicity, reliability, and reasonable parts pricing.

"Overall, my vote goes to Briggs due to simplicity, reliability, and reasonable parts pricing." Ditto. ^ Also, a Briggs can be usually be rebuilt without having to replace the rod, piston, and having the block bored. My two cents,

quote:
jimcadigan Posted - 06/23/2007 : 12:16:27
quote:
the kohler does puff a smoke at start up
LOL, My brother is the same way, he can't do anything with out a cigarette first. -Paul

I have a 712 with 301-k which I like to mow with. For some reason it discharges grass better than the 7116. The B&S runs quite and has lots of power. If I ever need to change motors in the 712 I would like to replace the Kohler with a 16 hp B&S if it would fit. Stan

For me it's a Briggs single all the way. The design is simple, and over all the years, I've never had any reliability issues. -Paul

I have never had a problem with a single cylinder Kohler that I bought new. Thats my premier choice. Briggs are OK to me if they are the newer IC ones with the electronic ignition, or older ones converted to battery ignition. Just my preference. I just had a nice running Kohler KT17 that I sold on Ebay. I didnt want one of those for personal use, so I sold it and replaced it with a new Magnum 16 single cylinder. That should tell you what I think of the KT's, even ones that run good. What I have learned is among the single cylinder briggs and Kohlers, is that the Briggs will hold up to owner neglect of maintinance better than the Kohlers. While both will run while burning gallons of oil, the Kohler is 5 times more likely to chuck a rod than the briggs is. I dont know how the newer Kohler Command fare vs the Briggs Vanguards. Havnt had enough pass through to make an opinion.

Have had Briggs and Kohlers over the years. Although I always considered Kohler to be a more sophisticated premium engine I prefer the cast iron Briggs as it seems to be more forgiving of the occasional lugging of the engine. Old single cylinder Kohlers seem to warp exhaust valves easily if you screw up and bog the engine down. This is one of the reasons I purchased a Simplicity RBT over a similar Allis. Tecumseh makes some reliable, inexpensive, smaller, vertical shaft engines both 2 and 4 stroke. Biggest problems I have encountered with Tecumsehs are the modifications they are required to make to meet their customers' (such as Sears) specifications.

The big problem I had with the two Kohler K241's I had were carb's. I found those Walbro/Carter carbs were just a pain to get running right. Overall, gimmie a one lung Briggs!

I have to say they are all Briggs at my house. As for new engines as much as I hate to say it Honda builds one of the finest small engines I have ever seen powerful, quiet and long lasting. Honda is also a good customer of mine so that may account for something. I will never buy a gas generator that's not a Honda, nothing else even come close.

I have an AC712S that I repowered with a K341, 16hp Kohler engine. In response to Phil, it just does not lug/bog down when mowing, pushing snow or tilling so I am looking forward to many years of service, with proper maintenance of course. Dan aka IronPony

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner
quote:
jimcadigan Posted - 06/23/2007 : 12:16:27
quote:
the kohler does puff a smoke at start up
LOL, My brother is the same way, he can't do anything with out a cigarette first. -Paul
It does seem to run even better with a cold Bud Light and a couple of puffs or two in front of it before we start working!!

Wow!! That did generate some posts, and in a hurry that sure is a hot topic, but I guess that it the whole reason for being here. Some well spoken points have been taken. One thing I have noticed is that the I can still hear after sitting on the single B&S for a while as haykarenhardy had spoke about the quiteness.

quote:
Originally posted by IronPony
I have an AC712S that I repowered with a K341, 16hp Kohler engine. In response to Phil, it just does not lug/bog down when mowing, pushing snow or tilling so I am looking forward to many years of service, with proper maintenance of course. Dan aka IronPony
Dan, I should hope not with 16hp! How did your 712 do with the 12hp Kohler it came with? I suppose it had a Kohler.

I have tractors with Briggs & stratton and Kohler engines in them. I like Briggs & stratton engine the best.:Dsm00 Karl

Briggs here, parts are cheaper and easier to fine. But to be completlely honest, I have never owned a Kohler. Seen quite a few Wisconsin engines in my travels. The old ones were bulletproof.

Briggs & Scrap'em - hate them. Never been able to keep one running. Have had three Kohlers, 10, 14, and 20 hp Command. So far, I'm getting along fine with them. Always start easily, even in the dead of winter. However, mt true vote goes toward Honda.

Briggs engines are cheaper when the need finally comes along for rebuilding, they make better racket with straight pipes, and at times, a good kick can make them roar to life! I also have a 12 HP Commode on a Cub Cadet that I inherited. Can't complain about it running or starting, but can complain about keeping the carb adjusted, can complain about how much it cost me to rebuild it the last time, and can complain that it does not seem to have the power that the worn out 10HP Briggs that I had in my Landlord. As for starting? The 16 HP Briggs that is the temp engine in the Landlord until I get time to assemble the 10HP....Open the gas valve, choke it, and before the starter turns the engine over more than a couple of times, we are ready to go.

I'll toss this in for comparison, the BEST running engines I've had are Tecumseh, especially on my older stuff (seems like that's all I have anymore). I've got a 40+ year old 5 HP tiller and a 30+ year old 9hp Wheelhorse rider that run great and keep coming back for more. I had a new (8 years old) 4HP push mower that starts first pull every time that I eventually left at my mom's house (tired of her mower not running when I showed up to mow her lawn). Their carbs seem to be touchy but now that I make sure they are soaked in Stabil during the winter that's nolonger an issue. To me the Honda engines are like Onan engines, they are great until you have to work on one - then the price of the parts will eat you alive. We have Honda powered generators on job sites, when they nolonger start on the second pull its cheaper to buy a new one then to have have them worked on.

Friend gave me a two-wheel tractor with a 2.5 hp Briggs on it that hadn't been started in 20+ years. I checked the plug, poured gas in the tank, took off the air filter, gave it a shot of starter fluid and it started on the first pull and ran off down the driveway without me (difficult to tell when it's in gear...) Another Briggs example. Cheap MTD lawnmower came with the house. It sat for two years. Briggs started on first pull. Kohler KT17 series II hasn't given me much trouble, but I'm paranoid about the oil and I feel like I have to run it on high all the time to keep the fan running fast and the motor cool (seems strange, but true). Great power, but, man the roar is tiring. Would like to just putt putt around sometimes. Tecumseh's have crappy carbs, from my experience. Nobody has mentioned Kawasaki. Dependable and torquey. What about the Lombardini owners out there? Any left?