Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
keifer2k3

7114 starter problem

HubbardRA
Before you can determine what the problem is, you will have to remove the starter from the engine and determine what the problem is. Are the teeth stripped on the gear? Does the gear fully move to the end of the shaft when the starter is engaged? Is the battery fully charged and spinning the starter fast enough?

keifer2k3
Sorry Rod... guess i could have given better history. The starters off, the gear is in good condition.(surprised to see it metal and not plastic) It doesn't move forward at all. I grounded it with jumper cables to the engine with starter removed to test it and it just spins in one position. I have had to charge the battery before, but believe it to be currently charged. I can't move the gear forward with my fingers either... not sure if ya could with it working right anyway. Tomorrow I'll put the charger on to make sure there's enough juice.

Al
Hi, This is not an uncommon problem with these starters. When they get some dirt or wear and when the engine starts and it "kicks" the gear out it may slam against the shoulder on the armature and "wedge" there. Usually when this happens, the shoulder on the armature shaft has little "burr" or sharp edge on the outside. Run the nut off the end of the armature and take the spring off. The gear should screw off by turning it clockwise. if it is stuck try a light tap on one of the teeth. Once it is off, take a small flat or triangle file and with the starter hooked to 12v, dress the outside of the shoulder with the file.(file about 45 degrees to the shoulder) This will remove the sharp burr. Next wire wheel the helix (spiral splines) and the end of the shaft. Check the slip clutch in the gear by clamping the gear in a vise and taking a "Channel Lock" grip the back of the drive and turn it. It should slip, but not really free. There is a rubber slip clutch inside and this takes the shock load off the armature shaft when the drive engages. If it can be easily turned with your fingers it is too loose and you need a new drive gear. Spray the helix and end of the shaft with "Dry Graphite" lube and reassemble. Most of the time the problem is due to dirt and grime in the splines on the armature and wire wheeling and re-lubing fixes that. If yours is stuck so it don't come off, I am sure there is a little burr or sharp edge on the shouler of the armature. DO NOT USE GREASE. Good luck, Al Eden