Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CID Vs. Horse Power?

ibelee

I'm looking at a motor with the model number 306214. According to B&S that is 30 CI of displacement. Since these are the only numbers I have to go by, is there any way to determine the HP?

I believe it would be a 14 HP taking in to the consideration that my Kohler 14hp displacement is 31 CI and a 12HP Kohler is 29 CI

Ibelee, You did not say but apparently you are looking at a vertical shaft engine. I have a 30 CID Briggs horizontal shaft engine which is 13 hp but I think there are some 12hp Briggs engines with 30 CID as well.

The rule of thumb is to multiply the cubic inch displacement by .4 to get an approximate hp rating. Note that I said APPROXIMATE. Also note that this applies only to single cylinder, L-head engines. Compression ratios, rpm's, air and fuel intake will all cause variations, but it gives you a general idea. When you reach 14 horsepower, the formula starts to drop off and isn't nearly as close as smaller engines.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll pass on the motor. To many uncertanties about it. Getting ready to rebuild the BGB in the B-212 so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.