Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My AC Puller

DDP021

Just wanted to share with everyone me and my dad's puller. Its an AC 900. It's got a stock Kohler Command 20 h.p. We built the modified exhaust ourselves. The weight boxes were made from heavy gauge steel sheeting from an OLD refrigerator exterior. The tractor had an original 6 speed transmission but we added another "3rd range". This allows us to shift on the fly by simply flipping a lever. We make people scratch their heads when I go down the track and, if I start in low range, shift 3 times going down the track!...My dad designed the 3rd range all himself...Don't do as much pulling anymore. Like with anything, guys won't go by the rules and start modifying engines. Took the fun out of it. Oh well, I can always look back a remember the good times dad and I had putting it together.

Dave, That is one mighty fine looking puller you have there, I'll bet you and your Dad turned some heads with that onedOd^

Now that is a ride anyone would be proud to own!! Heck I'd even take that back and fourth to work.:)

That is one nice looking puller! I would enjoy seeing how the "3rd speed" is set up. I was into pulling several years ago and still miss it some. The biggest reason for me to get out of pulling also was because of the cheating! Dan

Nice looking tractor and sounds like it's set up nice too. I agree with you about people not following the rules. I have a few trophies that I brought home over a couple of years with the JD 4020 we used to own. We didn't have ballast in the tires like most tractors around here and I was able to get it into lighter weight classes pulling against lower HP tractors in our local FFA pull. That was when they gave trophies away. Then they started giving cash prizes away and the very first year, we had pullers from 30 - 50 miles away bring in 4020's with turbos added, water injection, etc and they just blew all of us locals away. Many even had custom paint jobs and, along with the mods, everyone knew those tractors never seen a corn field anymore, but they were allowed into the stock/farm classes. Never did go back. Too bad as that was all that 4020 was good for! LOL!!

Thanks to all for the nice words...As far as the 3rd range setup. Basically we added another set of pulleys on the bevel gear box and transmission along with a belt tensioner. The 3rd range lever is where normally the PTO lever is. When I engage the lever, it 'locks out' the clutch pedal releasing the normal belt tensioner and engaging the 3rd range belt and pulleys. We have numerous pulleys we came up with to allow us to change the speeds on all 3 ranges. Right now we step them up to give us a little more speed as we go up in ranges. I normally start out on low range. To shift into 2nd range (old high range) it just takes a quick kick of the clutch pedal (we use springs to reverse the normal tension on the shift lever). To engage 3rd range I use the manual lever we added. To back out of 3rd range I can either flick the handle back or give the clutch pedal another quick kick. Its nice to have so many options as far as speed depending on the kind of track we're pulling on. For a fast track, the 3rd range is ideal. But like I said, slowly the rule 'stretchers' took over...When you start getting out distanced by 20 ft by a tractor the year before you were beating, you know somethings up. I never minded losing as long as I know it was legit. On the kohlers, guys were changing cams and adding the spark advanced box (found on the 22 and 25 h.p.) to change their timing. Its a shame because the most we over won was 20 bucks for a first normally. I guess competion brings out the worst in some people. I miss it because it was something me and my dad did together. I was proud because we built the tractor ourselves and was pretty successful for a few years.

Thanks John...I wanted to make it as stock appearing as possible. Some guys like to repaint them a different color and give them a name. The only thing we did was add the Simplicity logo on the hood. My dad works for a Simplicity Dealer and his boss pulls also. Got him some free advertisement. I need to get some more pictures from different angles. Thanks for the nice words.
quote:
Originally posted by comet66
SWEET! That is the look I like, Very clean and simple. Not real fancy and busy looking.

Cool, I would also like to have been able to see the shifting mechanism in action. Most clubs have a rule against shifting during a pull though. All the clubs around here do not allow shifting. Not sure why though. Tim

You have one of the Nicest tractor pulling Allis Chalmers i have seen .You have something to be proud of .It is sad how people cheat to win.