Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gaskets Question.................

LesH

I am repairing a transmission on a garden tractor and have the transmission housing "in half". Does everyone use a factory replacement "paper" gasket?? Or can you get a type of gasket sealer that would eliminate the need for the "paper" gasket, any brands recommended?? Thanks.

The gasket may be a shim, as Briggs oil pan gaskets are stacked one on another to adjust Crankshaft runout clearances. What kind of tractor is it? If you cannot or do not want to purchase a factory gasket, try to find gasket material of approximately the same thickness as original, and make your own. Good gasket sealers? Depending on location of use, cop-R-Coat is very good, if you also use a gasket. To replace a gasket, Honda small engines use a decent sealer/gasket maker. Permatex makes a decent one, as well. I am not, nor will I likely ever be, a fan of silicones. The best use I have ever seen for silicone is to put fish aquariums together. The 'problem' with most gasket makers I have used is the difficulty of taking the pieces apart next time.

Like was said- depends on the transmission- Personally, I would buy the gasket, and save yourself the trouble. Newer hydrostatic transaxles use only rtv, and newer engines use rtv as the only sealer for pan and valve cover gaskets, etc- You could make your own gasket, but a gasket that complex will turn out to be a big pain I think. Totally up to you, but thats my 2 cents- Andy

Well I learnt that nail polish will work in a pinch!:O:D At the GOTO, Melanie's puller wasn't running right. Well we took the carb apart, and one of the gaskets broke apart. Paul ran around the show and found a woman who had some nail polish. We used it to glue the pieces of gaskets together and fill in the spaces. It worked great!

If you can locate a replacement gasket, I would replace it,if not thats when the RTV sealer is handy. I have made a lot of gaskets but one like you need I wouldn't even attempt. Good luck