Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

External Coil Update

gtwygreg

Update on my 3416H! I took my camera phone and took pictures of my new external coil setup. I'm really happy I went to an external coil and would highly recommend it. I looked at several of the conversions and figured out what would work best for me. The coil is a automotive type with external resistor. An internal resistor would be easier, but they were sold out of those and I wanted it running now. I found a chrome bracket and mounted the coil on the head. It was tight but it clears everything. I made a custom steel core wire for the spark plug and put in an automotive type condenser.

I mounted the resistor on the inside of the dash against the outside. I figured it would stay cooler that way. Not sure if these get hot, but better safe than sorry

I was able to tap directly into ignition switch because it had a constant "ON" terminal. I was happy not to have to wire another switch in.

[quote]Originally posted by gtwygreg
Here's the final product, The tractor actually moved under it's own power and quite well I might add. I did find time to upgrade the seat as well. After I finish the mechanical it's paint time!!!

Greg, I like the compactness of your setup and thought I had seen coils mounted on the head before but I could not find any documentation. From other posts I read I was under the impression that the coil needed to remain near vertical, so I mounted it low on a plate on the front gear cover. I just completed the conversion yesterday and am quite pleased the tractor is running great.

Fortunately I will never need a front PTO.

Phil, your instillation looks pretty good as well. My rig came with a snowblower, so I couldn't mount it up front because I need the PTO. The coil I got was for a Chrysler and I know I've seen plenty of Chrysler coils mounted sideways, so I didn't worry about it. If it burns out it's only a 5 minute job to change it and it only cost $8, so no big loss

quote:
Originally posted by gtwygreg
I was able to tap directly into ignition switch because it had a constant "ON" terminal. I was happy not to have to wire another switch in. I'll be installing a rear light and I have powerlift, so I wouldn't have room without drilling another hole in the dash.