Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Preparing for B-112 Refurb.Rebuild

ibelee

Well, I wasn't planning on tackling this until this Fall but blowing out the BGB in the 112 has changed my mind for me. Looks like I'm gonna start the total rehab of the 112 today. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go along, so I hope you guys will be patient with me. Here is a pic of the 112 as she sits this morning.

Here is a pic of the 212 donar minus the motor, sheet metal, steering, and hydro that I got from Matt Tallant at S/F.

I'm gonna start breaking the 212 down and stripping her to bear metal. The BGB has some slop in it, so I hope to have enough parts between the 112 and the 212 to rebuild it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibelee

• JimDk

• firefoxz1

• HubbardRA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee, That is a good way to start. Get the extra frame cleaned up and painted. Then, one-by-one, remove the parts from the 112. Clean them up and rebuild if necessary, then bolt them to the 212 frame. This works out better than having a pile of parts and forgetting where some of the parts came from.

Thanks for the good wishes, John. I decided to strip all the parts to bear metal as I dissasembled so that I could check for wear, stress cracks, etc, so it doesn't seem like much, but it took me 4 hours to dissasemble and bead blast/chem strip/wire brush/tiger disc to bear metal. One hour of that was spent discovering the difference in the 112/212 Steering rod and connector differennces(and making sure there was ABSOLUTLEY no way I could run either of them under the stirrup instead of over...poor design in my opinion) and calling Brenda at Sandy Lakes for new parts I discovered I would need. Day 1 Progress.

Was looking at the rest of the front part of the tractor frame and the frame itself this morning. Trying to decide how to paint everything. I noticed during dissasembly that some of the parts only had primer where they attached to each other. This leads me to beleive that at least some of the parts were assembled before paint. I have been thinking about priming all the parts individually, then assembling all the front end, steering, clutch, hydro shaft parts to the front frame and painting everything as a whole. How have you guys done it in the past?

Lee, When I re-did the 713S that I brought to SF, I had an extra front axle which I did first, by itself. It was fully painted. I had removed the hood, fenders, engine, and dash from the chassis. I installed the newly painted front axle, and then painted the frame and tranny. I never removed the BGB or tranny from the tractor at all. I painted the BGB and tranny black and the frame orange while still attached to each other. It took a little newspaper and masking tape, but that was easier than the disassembly. All the parts that were removed were painted individually then installed. Since many of the parts were from a Homelite T-13, they had to be painted orange to cover up the blue. Here she is after painting the frame and reinstalling the newly painted dashboard. You can see that I had not installed the throttle, ignition switch or light switch. This frame also did not have a rockshaft, since it had not been removed from the Homelite frame yet. I used this frame because I was building a shuttle and this frame had the tube for the shuttle handle, but did not have one for a Sunstrand hydro. I saved the Homelite frame because it also had the fitting for the Sunstrand hydro lever, and I wanted that for another project. Notice the paint overspray in the floor from painting the frame as she sits.

That paint sure looks shiny, Rod. What kind of paint did you use? What type of applicator? And...what is that funny looking thing on the side of the frame with the holes in it? I guess my concern is messing up the paint job while putting the parts back on, in, and through, the frame. I've seen Heads of bolts, nuts and lock washers tear up the paint also while re-assembling.

I think my situation is a little different also since I am removing every part and stripping it to bear metal including the rear of the tractor. There are over 30 parts, nuts, bolts, and washers in just the front end alone. Seems like an awful lot to paint individually and install without messing things up. Maybe what you mentioned is the key. Put the front end together and then paint it all put together un-attached from the frame. Then attach the front end to the frame. Will still be some bolt heads and washers to scrape the paint on the frame while attaching, but not as many. Sounds like I'd be better off waiting on the coats of clear coat until most all is painted, assembled, and touched up. Wonder if that was why there was so many paint runs in the original paint and some areas were so thick with paint.

Lee, I am nearing the end of a paint job on a B-110. I took it all apart except the transaxle. It is a big job, but the old tractor was so rusty and dirty that I could see no other way to do it right. I have a couple of minor nicks, so far, that I can touch up with a little brush. You can see my before, and progress, pictures in the Show and Tell forum under " My Neighbors' Tractor". I used auto paint with hardener so I built a paint spray booth to keep the fumes to a minimum. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask. Jim

Thanks for your reply Jim. Day 2 results. Again, doesn't seems like much... but it was a lot of work for me. Decided to to srtip some of the sheet metal so I can "watch the paint dry" while working on the the rear end.

Don't know why the pic didn't post yesterday, but here it is again.

I have all my parts painted individually with one coat where visible and two where they meet another part. I reassembled the parts that are going to be red/orange on my project. My plan now is to paint them as a whole to cover all the nicks and such from reaasembling them. It has been a pain to keep all the parts seperate this winter while working on other tractors till the weather broke for painting.

Lee, The picture makes the paint look redder and shinier than it really is. I did this picture with another piece of software before I downloaded IrfanView. Now my pictures look much more like the real thing. That is the 713S that I brought to Spring Fling. It was painted with Chevy Engine Orange from rattle cans. If I had used my spray gun, the paint job would have been much better and shinier. I used the combination of, paint the individual parts, bolt the parts back together, then give the assembly another coat. I think this is the way you were talking about.

Which of these shuttle handles is correct? The pics on the Simplicity Site seem to show the ball shaped handle, but mine came with the other one shown.

my B-112 has the long straight handle, maybe because it is a later model with the key ignition?

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Salmons
my B-112 has the long straight handle, maybe because it is a later model with the key ignition?
Key ignition? I didn't think they came out with the key ignition in this model until the B-212.?

Early model B 100's had surface mounted key switch with push button start. Later model B-100 series and B-200 series have a recessed key switch with key start.

Thanks Maynard. Learn something new every day. Could be the difference in the 2 different shuttle knobs also? I have and early model. Maybe somebody changed my knob to the later model knob?

Lee, Is your tractor a shuttle or variable speed?? In the picture it looks like a variable speed control lever with a notched sector/quadrant; not like a shuttle control.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Lee, Is your tractor a shuttle or variable speed?? In the picture it looks like a variable speed control lever with a notched sector/quadrant; not like a shuttle control.

Sorry for the incorrect description...I'm still learning. It is the Variable speed lever.
quote:
Originally posted by ibelee
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Day 3 progress. Spent the morning looking at primer, paint, hardners, and the likes. Decided on the Tractor Supply's Grey Sandable Primer, Equipment Yellow, a gallon of Naptha, and the Valspar Hardner. Returned home with the the paint, a new sprinkler for the garden, a new shop stool, and a chicken sign for the wife so she wouldn't be as mad about the money I had just spent. Stripped down the steering gear, brake pedal and parts, parking brake and parts, VARIABLE SPEED LEVER, hydro shaft and parts, and the foot rest. In the pic, most of the parts I did today are sitting inside the frame. Again, doesn't look like much, but was a lot of work. Who's bright idea was this again?

"doesn't look like much"? Hey be happy with the progress you have made!dOd This is what my B-12 looks like for the last two months. 8C