Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 crank case pressure

blackfarms1

This has probably been asked before but here goes. Recently purchased 9020 and previous owner said the engine was tired and needed rebuilt. After changing all filters new fluids and a tune up tractor seems to run fine with good power. I found 2 major oil leaks. One was around the sending unit replaced it and that leak stopped. The other was around the bottom of the dipstick tube made gasket and leak stopped. Now tractor is leaking oil out of the top of the dipstick tube. It will use about 1 pint to mow 3-4 acres or about 1 pint every 3-4 hours I think it leaks a lot more than it burns. Once it leaks down that 1st pint it takes a lot longer to go through any more oil. Help. Thanks, Sean.

Sounds like you need to clean you crankcase vent. It is on the top, should have a hose to it that tee's into the carb/air filter hose. you have to remove the clamp around the outside (like a hose clamp) after the clamp is removed the housing pulls apart (it is plastic) when the housing is removed it will expose a cup with a screen and filter material like steel wool.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all took breather apart it was very clean. Check balls work as they should. I guess I need a rebuild. Sean

• 3 weeks later...
I had the same problem on my AC 720 when I first got it, I cleaned the breather and reconnected it (it was completely disconnected when I got the tractor), but still had quite a bit of oil coming from the dipstick cap. I replaced the gasket under the cap and it eliminated the leak. These engines develop quite a bit of crankcase pressure when running, so everything needs to be sealed up tight. Just try removing the dipstick from one when its idling, I got a nice bath of hot oil from that brain-dead moment!!!