Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

got a OLD MTD tractor question

perry

i have a make offer chance for a old MTD garden tractor. the tractor been sitting outside for years. it has a twinn cyl hoizonal 16HP briggs & stratton. i never new mtd ran a sideshaft engine?. this is a good size tractor and the motor is cramped tight in there. what cought my eye is it has a nice 3PT hitch complete with chains and drawbar. any of you guys know if theese are worth a darn?. either for a fixer upper or a parts doner. wonder if i could fab that 3pt up on another tractor. as always i forgot my camera, but the link below looks real simuliar but with a smaller engine. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/MTD-Built-Montgomery-Ward-Lawn-Tractor-Fix-or-Parts_W0QQitemZ150135630285QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I'm thinking Gilson on that tractor. After simplicity, MW started using gilson mfg for their tractors. I am not 100% sure. jh

Looked at the link and could not see or read about the 3PT hitch. Looks like a single B&S engine to me. Did not see anything about chains either. Are you sure this is the right link?? Dan aka IronPony

i said..........
quote:
but the link below looks real simuliar but with a smaller engine.
ITS NOT THE ONE IN THE LINK. IT JUST LOOKS SIMULIAR TO THE ONE IN THE LINK. BUT SAYS MTD ON THE HOOD

I know of a similar MTD in a boneyard. Don't know much about them. For the right price, I'd take a chance.

I know of one near me that is like the one in the pic but has a 16 single Briggs in it (Not running). The guy wouldn't sell it and it just sits in the back of his property. I didn't look at it to much but it actually said MTD on it.