Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
quantico

parts are interchangeable on m18s /m20s kohler ?

quantico
I am looking to repair one or two kohler engines.... both sunstar engines, one the 20 hp and the other a 18 hp... I have several questions for the kohler experts: what parts interchange / starter ? carb ? exhaust ? cam ? crank ? flywheel ? between the 18 and 20 hp engines if I go looking for used parts on ebay .... do the cub kohler engines interchange with the ones used in sunstars ??? how many different versions of each engine did kohler make ??? are there three or five different versions of teh m18s and I have to start writing down serial numbers to get each piece exactly .. because there are very subtle changes ??? does only the 18 hp version have the dreaded issue with the plastic govenor that can destruct ??? what parts would you buy used ??? if any .... or would you make that decision once everything is torn down ??? I have a caliper ( spin type / not digital ) what other tools should I need to measure out the parts??? I am new to the engine rebuild area ... and am gong slowly ... so that I can learn and make good decisions.. Thanks much for your wisdom and help in learning a few things ... scott

UCD
http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp Click on enter as a guest in product catalog click on magnum Then click on engine. then click on operators and service manuals and down load them then compare part numbers from one engine to the other if part numbers are the same they will interchange.

quantico
I would love to.... thanks for the link.... that web site can't support apple computers for some odd reason... Do you know if the same engine / crank output size etc .... is used on any other brand tactor ??? I am not sure what other brands used kohler magnum engines...

UCD
All of the other brands listed by spefication ID numbers that use that engine are listed on the kolher site. There are 12 pages of spefication ID numbers 170 total just for the M18. 8 pages 112 total spefication ID numbers for the M20 I can not give you the link to the manuals. You have to click on that pages link to download them.

quantico
I was able to download a complete engine service manual at work... there is lots of good info, but I am not sure if I can tell what fits what by looking thru the manual... I think I will start opening up an engine and see how it goes.... I have lots to learn about how everything goes together... and will see what parts look good and bad... I have a good caliper , but am not sure what I will need to buy to measure the bore or inside of several parts... for size and tolerance to specs... I don't have a machine shop...lots of basic hand and air tools , but not set up for reworking engine parts... I have had luck being more of a parts swapper than a rebuilder... On two of the engines I may just pull jugs and see what the pistons / bore / rings look like...since the engines are running ok ( with smoking ) I may just try to get some new rings and hone the cylinder walls, or repace jugs and see what that effort yields. Is that a bad idea ?? generally ??? or is that pretty common ??? thanks Scott

MikeES
Scott, if the engines are running... I would just pull the heads, clean up the carbon, check valves, and check the BREATHER! Most of these twins consume oil because of a bad crank case breather valve. There is a service bulletin to change them to a different style with a metal reed vs. the plastic spool they came with. This just may fix them. After you fix the valve box breather (if it needs it) start the engine and open the oil fill cap. If there is lots of pressure coming out indicates blow by from combustion into crankcase if not or a vacuum then the rings are probably OK. If you pull the heads a deep ring ridge indicates alot of cylinder wear (don't let carbon build up fool you), then I would tear it down further.

quantico
I am in process cleaning the garage .. to start fresh and clean for the rebuild / evaluation of the engines... Mike, would you go ahead and pull the engine ?? or leave it in the tractor and inspect the cylinder walls etc to determine what needs to be done ????