Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front wheel hubs

TomSchmit

This picture shows club member FastPaul at the recent Farmington gathering (on the right). The tractor he is riding has large front wheels, which are mounted on hubs that apparently fit over the standard front spindles. I have looked many places to find wheel hubs that will fit the standard 3/4" spindles on our tractors. I have never been able to find this size. Can FastPaul or anyone tell me where I might find these hubs? Thanks - Tom

I believe he used standard trailer spindals with a 4½' bolt pattern hub. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74517
[img]/club2/attach/FastPaul/Hood%20bondo%20015.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/FastPaul/Rear%20Beast%20018.jpg[/img]

Try this link, they have a lot of trailer axles and hubs. http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/trailer-parts-b13x1.html Also try Northern Tools. www. northerntool.com Mike

It appears that FastPaul welded on new spindles, which are likely common trailer axle parts. The smallest axle parts I have been able to find are 1". I would like to find something that fits the original 3/4 inch spindles, so I do not have to cut/weld anything. Nothing small than 1" at the lostcosttrailersupplies or Northern. Still looking! Tom

The front bearings I buy for the front of the tractors are trailer bearing sets at the auto store so hubs should be available also? never looked for hubs though.

I would like to know how fastpaul connected knuckle or spindle to the eye of the axle I WANT TO DO THE SAME SET UP ON MY 716 A/C i HOPE I DO DONT OFFEND ANY ONE FOR REPLY OR POST TO BE CLEAR I AM TALKING ABOUT FRONT AXEL HUBS THANK YOU CWIHNE

Firefoxz1 (aka Tom)- If your store has the bearings, please do ask if they have hubs for the 3/4" spindles! I know that others would like to do this same thing as well - without the hassle of welding! Thanks - Tom

Are you thinking about bolting on 8" x 5.38" rims on the spindles so you can use the stock 16x6.50x8 tires or using larger rims & tires? I see Carlisle offers 8 x 5.38" rims in both a 4 on 4" and 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. I'd be interested in seeing your finished product. I found this hub on ebay but the item has ended. At least it appears that they are available. Question would be what is the dimension between the inner and outer bearings to check that they are not too wide and would fit on the spindle and still be able to use the set screw collar to hold them in place and what is the ID of the seal. Might not be able to use this seal because it might have a larger ID than the OD of the spacer on the inside of the spindle. Might be able to use the stock Simplicity seal provided the hub doesn't have a larger ID for the seal than for the inner bearing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dico-TRAILER-HUB-KIT-PAINTED-5-LUG-4-5bolt-3-4-x3-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50071QQihZ002QQitemZ4639426465QQrefidZstoreQQtcZphoto

to tomschmit if you check out www.easternmarine.com or trailer parts superstore and checkout hubs and bearings you will find 3/4 hub with bearings dont know if seal will match up if you can get seal outside diameter maybe you can use yours also checkout golf car parts they also use hubs you can get wheel rims at cedar rapid tire i hope this helps cwihne

to stevenj i have hubs from when i added brakes to front axle of boat trailer i have spindles coming from northern tool and i have rims coming from cedar rapid tire i was going to use bolts to connect my knuckle to axle but i seen fastpaul setup and it look like he used orignal kingpin part of spindle and i was wondering how it was done maybe he could let me know cwihne

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
Are you thinking about bolting on 8" x 5.38" rims on the spindles so you can use the stock 16x6.50x8 tires or using larger rims & tires? I see Carlisle offers 8 x 5.38" rims in both a 4 on 4" and 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. I'd be interested in seeing your finished product. I found this hub on ebay but the item has ended. At least it appears that they are available. Question would be what is the dimension between the inner and outer bearings to check that they are not too wide and would fit on the spindle and still be able to use the set screw collar to hold them in place and what is the ID of the seal. Might not be able to use this seal because it might have a larger ID than the OD of the spacer on the inside of the spindle. Might be able to use the stock Simplicity seal provided the hub doesn't have a larger ID for the seal than for the inner bearing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dico-TRAILER-HUB-KIT-PAINTED-5-LUG-4-5bolt-3-4-x3-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50071QQihZ002QQitemZ4639426465QQrefidZstoreQQtcZphoto
The listing had 96 available and he only sold 4. Might be worth it to contact the seller and ask a few details about them.

• 2 weeks later...
Tom: You may have found 3/4" hubs by now. Looking at a Northern Tool Catolog I noticed 3/4" 4 bolt hubs Item #13830-1706 for $24.99. They are listed with Go-Cart items. Ron

You could do what I did. I machined some round aluminum, billet. I laid out the 5 x 4.5 hole pattern, then bored the center out to accept 2 radial ball bearings with 3/4 I.D. that will slide on too the original spindles. Then I use the original lock collars. This way, I had the option to return to the original setup. There's pictures somewhere on here from my monster project.