Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Open to suggestion.....

rsnik

Well, here it is. A 7016H bought on eBay. Removed the plug (it was brand new). Shot in some PB Blaster. Engine turned over easily by hand. I found the engine oil to be new and clean. Put in a new battery. Engine spins great and makes a little over 100 pounds of compression. No spark. Set points. Still no spark. Here is the picture:

And an overall pic of the tractor, it's the first one on the right:

Someone cut up the tin. I am very open to suggestion. Pull the engine?

The 1st thing I would do is test the coil before I pull the engine, or possibly try a points replacer... The points or condenser could be bad.. Just my 2 cents

ok, first thing i would do is pull the motor and get it set up and bolted/screwed down to the bench. your going to want to pull it anyway to replace that shroud and check for mice nest. then you can easily start checking stuff. inspect the coil wire and all wires for and bare spots that might be grounding out. its prombaly a bad coil or condensor. and for any sheet metal you need for that motor i should have it. cheap. is that a 16HP ?. shoot me a email. ppl79@sbcglobal.net

This is a Briggs, not a Kohler and doesn't have battery ignition, so no automotive type coil. I think it has a charge coil type ignition located under the flywheel. If I can't find a fault in the kill wire at the ignition switch or a short to ground anywhere on the kill wire I think I am looking at pulling the engine to remove the flywheel (and maybe replace the engine tin, although it probably can be fixed). I set the points, and the points/condenser look new, but I will surely try a new set before I pull the engine. You may have noticed the carb is missing, I do have one in my collection of spares.

Hi Perry! You are a scholar and a gent. Are you really Red Green? That is my favorite show. I learned more from that show than I ever did in college. Whenever I get in the grease I quote the Possum Lodge creed to my wife. We all see ourselves in some character on the show. I think I am Glen Brackston. Marine background. Laziest man on earth. No idea how I raised three very good sons (my wife probably agrees). Instead of the Glen Brackston motorhome obsession it's these danged Simplicity tractors. A real pleasure to hear from a fellow Possum Lodge devotee!

Red Green is also my favorite show, The only reason I say try to get it running first is that if it smokes or knocks you will want to know 1st.. and to run it on the bench can be a pain if you don't have the equipment..

Jonathan, If you have access to an automobile coil, then I would unhook the points and condenser from the magneto and hook them to an automobile coil to try and start the engine with battery-coil ignition. Once it starts you can get an idea of what condition the engine is in. I wouldn't tear it down to replace the magneto, only to find out after reassembly that the engine needed to be torn down again for a rebuild. Running it on a cobbled-up external coil will let you know about the engine before pulling it off the tractor. Heck, I did that to one twenty years ago and I am still running it on the external coil. I've had it apart since then to install new rings and still did not replace the mag. It just runs too good on that external setup that there is no reason to change it.

Rod is right! I had the same problem with the same engine and took Rod's advice. I went through quite an ordeal before that. I took the engine out and put in a new old style coil and still no ignition. The flywheel magnet was weak. I ended up installing an automobile type coil and it worked perfect. I would make sure there isn't a mouse nest in there for fire safety reasons. Then install the automobile style/kohler style coil. You wouldn't have to pull the motor either. I have some information on how I did mine posted. Here's the link: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82705 Everybody I chatted with before that's done the conversion have been very happy with it. A photo of mine is below

[/quote]

Hello gtwygreg, Very good timing with your picture! Was looking for an idea for where to put the coil. I can't put one up front because the PTO for the snow blower is in the way. The coil can't roam too far or I will have a very long spark plug wire. Your install looks just right. Thanks, rsnik

I would be weary to run it long without knowing if there is a nest in there. It'll get hot real quick. The good thing is you can pull a RBT Briggs in about 20 minutes while still holding your favorite beverage in one hand.

With me it's kind of like when you put the battery in backwards in your boat and the magic smoke comes out of your alternator. It comes out really fast but it won't go back in.