Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skunkhome

1st issue 3414s

skunkhome
Well the tractor that I had so little faith in is now up and running with new ignition, new wiring, new battery, "new" headlights, new leather lined PTO clutch, freshly lubed chassis, BGB, and Shuttle Planetary gear assembly. I cleaned up the mower and lubed the idler pulley and tightened up the idler pulley pivot stud and actually mowed my yard for the first time. Even though the mower was set so low I think I did more tilling the mowing I had a blast mowing on one of these fine machines for the first time in about 35 years. I was even out again today mowing the lawn just in cast it grew .5 cm over night.

I did notice that when I adjusted the mower to give a more reasonable height I lost some tension on the PTO to mower drive belt. It seems that PTO is bottoming out against the stop. I looked but there does not seem to be any adjustment on the pto. I noticed that it seems to be the same way on the 700/7000 series but the pto has some adjustments on the 900/7100 series tractors. Could it be that I have the wrong mower for the series? I haven't a clue what model mower I have but it is 42" and had the rectangular two bolt blade plate. I have not been able to find a number on the belt ( I may be able to see in daylight.) The pto belt is green in color as well as the Mower belt. Does that sound like Simplicity belts? Some how I need to shorten the lengthen the distance from the PTO to the center arbor or get a slightly shorter belt if I can. I considered drilling another set of 3/8" pin holes about 7/8" back from the original holes in the "L" brackets at the mower hitch point but the metal is too tough for me to do little more than scratch the surface with my small drill press and titanium drill bits.

How do I determine if I have the right mower? Is there any recourse other than buying another belt and see if it resolves the problem? BTW, it mows very well even with this issue.

rsnik
I have learned to use only genuine Simplicity belts on the shuttle transmission or it will never adjust properly no matter how many times you follow the steps in the manual. However, I am having great luck with an off label mower belt. I think your deck is probably a 1690501, like the ones I got. I had a similar problem. The belt that came with one deck seemed too short, as opposed to long. Was in a hurry, and bought a generic belt from my local bearing and belt shop (no problem with them having belts for a 42" 1690501 deck on hand). Solved the problem and workes like a champ. The bearing and belt shop belts will NOT work on the shuttle transmission, though. When you pull the lever in the rear to tension the mower belt (you are pulling the lever, right?) could it be the spring has lost it's tension? First time I put the belt on and tried mowing nothing happened. I put the wrong twist on the belt and the blades were spinning backwards. There are a couple of eyebolts with nuts right up by where the deck pins on that might adjust the clearance problem with the tie rod if the problem isn't elsewhere. I discovered that if the bushings are gone on the deck rollers and the rollers have worn to where the center holes are an inch in diameter I can raise the deck up as high as it will go and I am still mowing short because the rollers have an inch of play on the roller rod. The long rollers are part #108432 (3 needed) and the short rollers are #108431 (2 required). Jack's has them for short money. I agree that the tractor and deck you have is finest kind for mowing a lawn. rsnik

UCD
The PTO on a 3400 series is basically the same as the newer 7000 series. The idler pulleys below the clutch is on a swing arm and should swing forward and backward freely with out any belts installed. The belt is tensioned by the spring tension lever, rod and spring. The lever should be to the rear and up when running. The green belts are aftermarket not Simplicity belts. I would suggest using Simplicity belts but that is your choice if you like buying belts. Also these decks should not be run while in the up position, if you do you will break or burn up belts in short order. If you download the manual for your mower deck it will show the correct proceedure for adjusting the deck.

haykarenhardy
I have a 712-S tractor model 1690213 Deck number is hard to read ? 0022-115186 which has two bolt blade mounts. Its a 42 inch deck. Try measuring the belt with a tape measure, then go to TSC or napa. They wont be as good but I have gotten good service out of them. Make sure the pulleys are true, this was my problem getting the belts to last. I have two 42 inch decks, the A.C. has two bolt mounts but the simplicity uses one center bolt to hold the blades on. Not sure why they did this except to make them look different, the simplicity number is gone from the deck. Stan

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
I have learned to use only genuine Simplicity belts on the shuttle transmission or it will never adjust properly no matter how many times you follow the steps in the manual. However, I am having great luck with an off label mower belt. I think your deck is probably a 1690501, like the ones I got. I had a similar problem. The belt that came with one deck seemed too short, as opposed to long. Was in a hurry, and bought a generic belt from my local bearing and belt shop (no problem with them having belts for a 42" 1690501 deck on hand). Solved the problem and workes like a champ. The bearing and belt shop belts will NOT work on the shuttle transmission, though. When you pull the lever in the rear to tension the mower belt (you are pulling the lever, right?) could it be the spring has lost it's tension? First time I put the belt on and tried mowing nothing happened. I put the wrong twist on the belt and the blades were spinning backwards. There are a couple of eyebolts with nuts right up by where the deck pins on that might adjust the clearance problem with the tie rod if the problem isn't elsewhere. I discovered that if the bushings are gone on the deck rollers and the rollers have worn to where the center holes are an inch in diameter I can raise the deck up as high as it will go and I am still mowing short because the rollers have an inch of play on the roller rod. The long rollers are part #108432 (3 needed) and the short rollers are #108431 (2 required). Jack's has them for short money. I agree that the tractor and deck you have is finest kind for mowing a lawn. rsnik
rsnik, Yes I am pulling the lever up and over center to lock the PTO swing arm back but it comes back against the stop before all the slack is out of the belt. Never the less it still cuts grass just fine even the heavy wet stuff I tackled the other night. It was cutting so low that I now have my seed beds for my turnip crop...only about 3 months early. Funny thing is that when you raise the mower it decreases the distance between the center arbor and the PTO compounding the tension problem. The deck rollers are in pretty bad shape. Thank you all, for the information, I'll take a trip ove to the Simplicity dealer this weekend if I can. I am not sure he can help me as he is a Simplicity dealer in name only. I don't think he has sold a Simplicity in years.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
I have two 42 inch decks, the A.C. has two bolt mounts but the simplicity uses one center bolt to hold the blades on. Not sure why they did this except to make them look different, the simplicity number is gone from the deck. Stan
Stan, I know that when I was still a teenager and mowed grass 6 days a week in my home town with a B10 that had two bolt blade mounts we had to replace the cap screws at least once every mowing season. The leading edge of the hex head would wear so badly that it became impossible to torque them down or loosen them with a conventional wrench. When it got the the point that we had to use a pipe wrench to remove the cap screw we replaced it with a new grade 5 screw. We kept little cloth bags of these cap screws for the B10 and B1 but never once replaced the single center bolts on our 312d. I would imagine a single bolt in the center does not experience such damaging wear as all sides share the wear evenly.