Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2nd issue 3414s

skunkhome

After I purchased the tractor the seller informed me that the generator did not charge. As I started using the tractor it became evident that it needed a new battery as the battery charge would not charge it more than about 20 minutes befor it would indicate that it was fully charged when in fact it wasn't. Yesterday I broke down and bought a new battery a 51R and when I installed it and started the tractor the generator light went out. I thought the light had burned out but it had not as it would still come on when the engine was stopped or dimly at idle with the headlights on. I thought I had solved the problem by installing a new battery. I thought my luck was too good as about half way through my playing (mowing) today the light came back on again. What do you make of that? Could it be that I jostled some wire when installing the new battery that disconnected again today? Does some one have a link where I can get detailed instructions for troubleshooting a generator charging system?

Make sure all your connections are corrosion free. It sounds as though corrosion may be the problem if the gen light was working right for a while. Look for a PM.

quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome
Does some one have a link where I can get detailed instructions for troubleshooting a generator charging system?
Simple trACtors Understanding and Troubleshooting Your Tractor's Electrical System by Al Eden http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm

Thanks UCD for this info. I replaced the start/gen and regulator on the 717 and still can't get it to go. This will doubtless tell me why. There used to be a guy in ancient Greece I believe they called the Oracle at Delphi. You could present him with any problem and he would at least give you the means to solve it yourself. Thanks again, rsnik

I would much rather give someone the means of solving it themselves than to do it for them. Something that some do not understand.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I would much rather give someone the means of solving it themselves than to do it for them. Something that some do not understand.
UCD, Thanks for the info I thought I had been all over this site since I have been reading it for a couple of years but I never saw that page. I often run across things then can't find them again when I want to show someone something. I was trying to show a friend the b&w photos from some Simplicity brochure showing the tractor plowing, disking and pulling a hay wagon but could not for the life of me find it.

Hi skunkhome, An eBay seller is offering new Simpicity starter/generators for $97 plus $14 shipping. If you enter GDR0002 as a search on ebay it takes you to the listing. Other sellers also have them for $130 plus $22 shipping.