Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
philipfels

Repower a 3415S

philipfels
I have this 3415S and the old engine is still working good but it does use a bit of oil. I'm undecided on either a rebuild or move up to something else. What other engines will fit . I was told that the 15hp Briggs single is obsolete and parts can't be had. Maybe go to a 16hp. Also, what is the proper off white to use on the hood, and the right orange on the frame and deck.

BLT
A 15 and 16 HP Briggs are the same 32 CID design. Parts are not bad to procure yet. I have excellent luck re-ringing older CI engines with chrome ring sets, while pricy there is less work in the rebuilding procees if bore is very near standard dimension and only glazed with no scratches.

philipfels
Thanks Bob,This may be a project this winter. I'll keep this old one to use with the tiller and might buy a new Regent to mow with. Looked at one today for $2699,44",22hp. Is this a fair price?

philipfels
I've been thinking on the Broadmore too. As for matching the paint, it was painted over in the past and not sure if I can get down to the right color. Right now it's a cream and orange and it's flaking off and primer under it. I have a JD I need to sell first. I told a friend who likes the green that maybe "Nothing runs like a Deere", but NOTHING MOWS like a Simplicity. That would be good in an add!!!

KenK
I was thinking a broadmoor of the same size cut was $1000-$1500 higher.The broadmoor is built a bit stronger,has the better vangaurd motor(verses an intek)theres some other differences also,just can't think what they are off the top of my head.I would think if your just using it for mowing the regent would be a good tractor.

philipfels
It would be strictly mowing. I have the old Soverign,3415S to do my tilling. I put another set of tine on the tiller to give me almost 48" and the beast does fine. It does like the oil almost as much as gas, but may get it rebuilt this winter.