Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This has to be a joke!

ehertzfeld

I was watching this, thinking I would bid if it stays low. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110142475910&rd=1&rd=1 Two things come to mind, either the seller drove up the bid by a friend, so he can keep the part. Or There are people out there willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on these machines. Either way, if this is the trend, we are all in trouble!

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
I was watching this, thinking I would bid if it stays low. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110142475910&rd=1&rd=1 Two things come to mind, either the seller drove up the bid by a friend, so he can keep the part. Or There are people out there willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on these machines. Either way, if this is the trend, we are all in trouble!
Well you have people out there who will pay $350. for a jar of dirt.

quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome Well you have people out there who will pay $350. for a jar of dirt.
True!:O:D

I have a front light kit part# 1690041 for the 3100, 3200, B-100, B-200 series tractors New in the box. I wonder what someone would be crazy enought to pay for it?

Why are all of the last bids at $150? that has to be a glitch, the bids should progressively rise shouldn't they? At that price you would think it is a John Deere "B" part....

Two different bidders both bid $150. Either 2 guys both want it real bad, it's yet another tragic example of mixing bidding and booze or one buyer has an unlimited budget, such as a buyer for a museum. The halo effect is also amazing. A used Mitchell 302 Saltwater fishing reel (a ten buck reel) was bid up to something like $198 by a buyer for a museum I know of because it came with some rare original papers, tags, paraphernalia and the box, which was what they were actually after. Within a day or so there were 27 Mitchell 302 reels with huge minimum bids or BIN prices of $150 or more. That was a while back, now they are back to ten bucks again.

The current top bidder is from one of the highest respected advertisers on this sight. In my book, there's nothing wrong with a collector wanting something and being able to afford it. However, there might be something wrong with others calling it a joke.

quote:
Originally posted by PetePuller
The current top bidder is from one of the highest respected advertisers on this sight. In my book, there's nothing wrong with a collector wanting something and being able to afford it. However, there might be something wrong with others calling it a joke.
High prices for parts would drive some of us with work tractors or restorations to do out of this hobby and make others of us with large inventories relatively wealthy. So many of us HOPE this is a joke. For me I can buy a light that works at the local farm store. I can't buy a transaxle though, so I'm hoping the collectors stick with lights! -Don

I got the same parts in alot better condition that I would take that for it. I guess like was allready said. It is all in what someone wants to pay!!!

I would hate to pay that much,but if I needed it for restore.The rear light and bracket are pretty hard to find.

Yup, had this on my watch list too and I think that I'll just keep watchin'. Now if I take all of my original lights and put on 'bay I should be able to afford my new Simplicity no? :O

quote:
quote:
The current top bidder is from one of the highest respected advertisers on this sight.
Ok, I'll bite, who is this advertiser?
quote:
there might be something wrong with others calling it a joke.
Are you kidding me????? Wait to you really need some obscure part, that are going for ridiculous amounts of money! Then I think you'll understand. I'm all for people who can afford to spend gobs of money, doing so, but when it drives up the price of everything, that is no good for anyone. When I first got into this hobby, there was one maybe two pages of Simplicity items. Now there are like 5. The more money they go for, the more people are going to tear down good tractors and part them out. Thus driving up the prices on whole tractors. If there are fewer of a tractors, the price tag goes up. The higher the stuff sells for, the higher other will sell them for. I don't know about you, but this is a hobby for me. I don't spend house hold money on my hobby. I buy and sell things to keep it interesting. I'm not made of money or have a trust fund to rely on. Every thing I have I paid mammal for. I also work on others tractors for parts/attachment and ever a tractor or two. Bottom line, if the prices go up too much, then there will be no one to buy them, cause they priced them selves out of business.

quote:
The current top bidder is from one of the highest respected advertisers on this sight.
Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractor Club has no advertisers. SimpleTrACtors.com Has advertisers. They are two different sites. Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractor Club pays SimpleTrACtors.com for Bandwidth space

:Oi guess im going to be able to retire when i sell my RARE factory broadmoore lights, and the RARE factory rear wieght set.:O [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/wardstilermower035.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/wardstilermower036.jpg[/IMG]

quote:
Originally posted by perry
:Oi guess im going to be able to retire when i sell my RARE factory broadmoore lights, and the RARE factory rear wieght set.:O [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/wardstilermower035.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/wardstilermower036.jpg[/IMG]
No but it would be a big deposit on a new one:D. My 2010 has the factory lights on it with the switches, I may be rich also8D. By the end of the weekend there is bound to be a few of these on E-Bay for $$, which will probably not sell because the rest of us wouldn't pay that much. I would just post a topic asking for dimensions and make a copy.

Is this post trying to say that the high price rare parts demand on ebay is driving up the cost of everything? If so, that is incorrect. I still see 100's of excellent old iron machines being sold for pennies what they're worth.... daily. Also, if this was your point, it could have easily been made without making a joke of how others spend their hard earned money. Who are you to judge.

This is a tough one we all face. Guess we could go to the banker w/higher net worth on paper using inflated equipment prices. However, the double edge sword cuts deep with the decline of old parts stock and the run-up in prices continue. As markets go, those who stay involved will find opportunities to sell and opportunities to buy.

quote:
Originally posted by PetePuller Also, if this was your point, it could have easily been made without making a joke of how others spend their hard earned money. Who are you to judge.
Pete- I note you're new here. I think it takes a while to adjust to what can be odd humor and seem abrupt. I don't think anyone is laughing at the buyer, or at least that's not the main point. Still, $125 for a light fixture? ROFL I think I'll open a factory in China making Simplicity parts.

Coincidentally, the bidder named after the president is from the same town as the seller. The other bidder is from the MN area.

I think it is beneficial to the survival of antique and near modern Simplicity tractors that dead tractors get parted out to support the living ones. I was able to buy a near new planetary and a large lot of sundry used shuttle parts for my 2 Baron-S tractors. It's a hoot to be working on a problem and be able to dig through a big box of shuttle parts and find anything you need. I picked up these parts for short money on eBay (unless you count the cost of the time I spend hunting parts, which I write off to entertainment). Being able to depend on the availability of a huge supply of used parts at the club or eBay or elsewhere makes owning the tractors feasible. Without this club and the parts availability I would go back to my boat and my sorely neglected fishing habit.

Ah the ups and downs of free enterprise. He's got a tiller that's only at $25 so far. So are 5 or 6 tillers worth 1 light? -Don

I just sold 2 light & brackets for a B SERIES both were working . they onLY brought about $26.00 JJ