Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steamtoys

Magnum 18 Kohler

steamtoys
Picture of Kohler engine that I purchased to install in one of my tractors. Magnum 18, on tag is Model M18?? Serial #2400713716. My concern is this possibly a self-destruct engine? Any idea as to possible year and correct Model number? Disregard For Sale Sign in background, it was a mistake. Ron

steamtoys
Quantico: My main problem is with the tag, it is like a tinfoil and all of the other numbers are worn off. Tried to remove some of the grime and it made things worse. It looks like the numbers were just a printing on the tag not impressed in. I have looked at the Kohler site. Thought someone might have an idea as to the complete Model Number or have a engine with a serial number close to mine with a legible tag. Thanks for your help. Ron

quantico
I can tell you that the engine looks pretty new unless there is a serial number run that I don't know about... My newest kohler m18S is a spec 24506 an is serial number 2404110906 My engine was made in 1994... I just got it ( not running ) and I don't know what failed yet. I got it with a 917 allis chalmers that was re-powered three years ago... I hope to fix the engine ( if fixable ) and use mine in a sunstar... other wise I will part out the tractor and the engine.. scott

MikeES
The serial number is says that it is a 1994. The model number for the M18S (Electric start straight PTO). The spec. number for the engine is 245xx. The 24 is the 18hp the 5 is the Magnum designation and the xx is a number of the variation of the engine. They are very good engines with full pressure lube, oil filter, electronic ignition, etc. They run very smooth, strong and reliable. What tractor are you going to put it into?

steamtoys
Mike: Thanks for the info,this is a great help. The Tractor I am putting the engine in is a J.D. 314 Hydro. Will be replacing the single cycl. Kohler that has a broken rod. Have picked up a second J.D. 314 that has a blown 2 cycl Kohler, this gives me all the needed motor mounts and spare parts to keep it running. I was a J. D. man until I purchased my Simplicity 7790 Diesel that I have fallen in love with. At the same show I managed to get with the tractor a spare Lombardini 2 cycl. that came out of a running Simplicity. I am using a J.D. 110 and a 112 to mow 1 acre plus of lawn and brush. Again Thank You for the info. This is a great site with a lot of good people!! Ron