Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mat Perucci

tractors on public roads

Tom_Byrne
MY TWO CENTS: As a police officer and from personal experience, you will generally be left alone just going a short distance- maybe a few hundred feet from your house. Legally, here in New Jersey, it is considered a four wheel motorized construction or farm vehicle, subject to all laws similar to what an excavator would have running a backhoe from job to job( contractor in transit plates, working lights and turn signals, etc,).

GregB
Here in PA, with the slow moving vehicle triangle you can run just about anything on the road. But common sense :O should be used. When I mount the Sickle Bar on the Big Ten to do the Road bank across from my house, I mount the Triangle using small vise grips. Just in case. GregB

SmilinSam
In our midwest small town all the local recipients of DUI's drive their lawn tractors around town for transportation. So far the cops have left them alone. I know they stop the guys who try to use their gator type farm utility vehicles in town though.

Willy
Here in Iowa if you look like a farmer and have a green tractor I don't think they would bother anyone.:D A straw hat and bibs might help also. ( I'm not sure about yellow or orange tractors.)8D

john-holcomb
Willy, My friends in Iowa say a green tractor always has the right of way in Iowa. Unless of course a JD an an Oliver come to a 4 way stop and naturally the Oliver has the right away. :D:D Ya just got to love those people from Iowa they are soooo smart.^