Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor wheels question

ken728

Hello, New member here - been admiring the Simplicity brand for quite some time and recently found a 1970 Broadmoor 728 on Craigslist. I believe this unit will replace my JD 111 quite nicely, even though it's 15 years older. Great website you have here - I'll be happy to contribute to the forums if I can. My 728 needs rear wheels badly - the existing wheels have both been unsuccessfully repaired by a novice welder. My question is: has anyone ever mounted anything but Simplicity rear wheels on a Broadmoor? I may have a line on some used ones, but perhaps someone has installed an aftermarket spindle with flange and used a readily available wheel? At first glance, I don't see many options. Makes me wonder why these wheels are so trashed. Any feedback is appreciated

First of all "Welcome"! Are you referring to the area where the bolt goes through the tube to "pin" it to the axle? My 727 holes are elongated on the wheel. I was considering forming a couple of heavy washers on each side and welding them in place to reduce the slop. Unfortunately, the holes are located so you cannot drill new ones 90 degrees to the originals because the wheel overhangs them. The correct way would be to have a machine shop cut out the tube, fabricate and weld in new ones.

Mike, Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you, new tubes are needed on these wheels. The right wheel was repaired with some sloppy stick welding and is completely broken all the way around, and my left wheel has had the tube replaced already but it fits very sloppily to the axle shaft. With all of the load put on these rear wheels (love the Broadmoor rear pivot design) I'm just looking to get this area dialed. Can't even use the tractor in it's current state!:(

You might try placing a wanted to buy ad here in the classifieds. Ask for actual measurements of the tube ID and condition of the bolt hole, but there should be some good wheels floating around that are very usable.

If you can find any of the older deluxe wheels and hubs (tire size 18 x 9.50 x 8) from the 727 Broadmoor and earlier models the hubs can be fixed when needed easier. Old holes in hubs can be welded shut and new ones drilled. I also like the looks of the bolt on wheels better. Easier to change tires too.;)

Thanks guys - I have more options than I thought! I have a line on some used wheels that may or may not pan out, but other than that I think I'd pursue the 727 hub/wheel idea. Have a good 4th of July.8D