Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sunstar

blackfarms1

Hi all,there have seen a lot of these for sale recently. I love my powermaxes but they are hard for my wife to steer. I thought the sunstar would be a good choice. But I don't understand the dramatic price differential between 18 and 20 hp models. As always thanks for the knowledge. Sean

The 20HP models came standard with power steering and a 2 speed rear axle which may explain some of the price differential.

I've been wanting to ask this, this topic seems like a good place. Like many I've got a PowerMax on my wish list for when I win the lottery. There seem to be more Sunstars out there. What features does the Powermax series have that the Sunstars don't? I'm especially interested in rear lift, dual brakes, and heavy duty. thanks, -Don

Don, they are two completely different tractors. While this is not EXACTLY the case, the easiest way to explain it is that the Powermax series are a smaller version of a full size farm tractor while the Sunstar is a larger version of a garden tractor. The Powermax is a much more stout tractor. As to features, both have hydro transmissions, but the Powermax has a three speed transmission behind the hydro and the Sunstar has a two speed transmission behind the hydro. The Powermax was available only with manual steering, while power steering was available on the Sunstar. The Powermax has 15" rear wheels and 10" front wheels while the Sunstar has 12" rear wheels and 8" front wheels. Powermax tractors are powered by Onan engines and Sunstars are powered by Kohler engines. The Sunstar had an electric fuel gauge in the dash. The Powermax had a float type fuel gauge in the fuel tank cap. I'm sure others can clarify or add to the list.

The 20 HP, Sunstar/Ultima with the two speed rear also has diferential lock, and dual rear brakes. The Sunstar also has pretty much all of the same imps. available. Except the backhoe (darn it). It's a pretty stout machine.

Sean m I think the sunstar would be a great tractor that your wife would find very easy to drive. I own four sunstars... two happy ones, and two that need work. I have two of the twenty horsepower versions , and two of the 18 HP versions... one 18 hp with power steering and one 18 hp without.. I want very badly to find a decent powermax, but they tend to be expensive.. You will want to find a sunstar with power steering... a much better deal overall. You can save some money if you don't feel the need for seperate brakes and the two speed rear.. and differential lock.. I am still pretty new to the club and the tractor fixing deal... but what I have serviced on the sunstars has led me to believe that they are rugged and well designed. There is always a lot of interest in sunstar parts... which can make parts expensive, but they must have made a bunch of those tractors as there always seem to be a dozen being parted out at any time.. A piece of advise on buying sunstars on ebay.... every one that I have purchased has had more problems than what was presented in the auction info... I would really think that buying a sunstar from a club member or a simplicity dealer may yield a lot better machine for the money..

quote:
Originally posted by quantico
A piece of advise on buying sunstars on ebay.... every one that I have purchased has had more problems than what was presented in the auction info... I would really think that buying a sunstar from a club member or a simplicity dealer may yield a lot better machine for the money..
I'd agree with that quote based on my experiences, but I'm not sure that I'd restrict it to just Sunstars. If you've never owned a particular piece of machinery, it's hard to ask the detailed questions necessary to establish the condition. Lots of sellers are just trying to unload their worn out equipment and do not disclose all the areas requiring attention. You almost have to have previously owned a particular model to know exactly what to look for when you are buying another and then you tend to look at it with an eagle eye for all the known problem areas.