Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Check this out...is this guy for real or what?

Bergy

EBAY Item #140134320547 (punch into ebay search engine) Claims to be a Simplicity attachment...I dunno....here is what he said in an email to me when I questioned his item's authenticity... This is not a Simplicity Brand, but a attachment made for simplicity just like a whole bunch of other implements like the trenchers, earthcavators, pallet lifts, post diggers, and other items that were available in the 60's from Allied equipment and other Manufacturers. The 4 blade ones like you describe are the Model 370 made by Simplicity itself. I have had 3 or 4 of those over the years. All indications through Simpliciity are they were discontinued for safety and insurance concerns. Those do work good in all but thick grass. This unit on this auction was made in Central Illinois by Colfax Motor Service, Colfax Illinois. Its a Model #30 made for Simplicity and Allis Chalmers. Like Stated I have only seen 3 of these in 10 years of looking for them. I have also seen 2 in the same time period manufactured to fit Wheel Horse, and 1 that was made for John Deere. There was also another company near Clfax that made a similar shorter version. I have had one of those and sold it last year to a man in Oregon who loves it. He mows Blackberry bushed off with it. Bachtold walk behinds were also made in the same are of Illinois as they still are. I am assuming the 3 companies had some ties to one another of some sorts. The tag is missing on this unit but the information is off the tag on my sons restored unit. The tag reads Patent applied for. I dont know, maybe there were patent infringement problems concerning the Bachtold Paten is why these were discontinued, or it could have been safety and insurance concerns as with Simplicitys weed mower which was discontinued. I dont know. Hard to come by information when companies no longer exist. These mowers like this one mow a whole lot beter than the Simplicity model 370. I have compared both and its not even a contest. As to Wheel Horse, I hold them in as high esteem as Simplicity. Two best brands on the market even to this day. Anything else you would like to know? Respond to this question Details for item number: 140134320547 Item title: Allis & Simplicity Garden Tractor Mower Weed Cutter Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140134320547&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

He is correct. It is an attachment made to fit old Allis and Simplicity tractors. Exact manufacturer can't be determined if the tag is missing, since more than one company made them. BTW, he's a club member and former Club President -- he knows of what he speaks! :Osm06

I was at the auction where he bought it, (I was runner-up bidder). I measured the attachment points and looked it over real good. It is exactly what he says it is, he knows a lot more than I do! I also got the bidding started on it, again! I figured how often do I get to bid on one item twice? :o) Yes believe Smilinsam, he is wise.

quote:
Originally posted by B-16_IC
I was at the auction where he bought it, (I was runner-up bidder). I measured the attachment points and looked it over real good. It is exactly what he says it is, he knows a lot more than I do! I also got the bidding started on it, again! I figured how often do I get to bid on one item twice? :o) Yes believe Smilinsam, he is wise.
Who knows, you may not have to bid as much this time;) All I know is that if someone asks to keep them in mind when you run across something locally , dont bet they will follow through on taking it for what you paid for it. Better to chalk it up as idle talk.

HI Bergy! Don't let it throw 'ya. It's just a typical, garden variety case of Murphy's Law that if you ask "is this guy for real" it turns out he is the past president and one of the foremost experts in the world.

Oh boy! I messed up, thought the auction ended this afternoon, wrong!B) I hope a member got it, great deal. I will remember to bid higher next time, I hope!:Q

It was another member but, wait till he sees what shipping via freight is going to cost out to Maryland. You may get yet another chance? He said he was going to check out shipping costs tomorrow. I'm guessing anywhere from $250-$350 off the top of my head based on what other buyers have had to pay in the past on stuff like palleted mower decks. Only way it could be cheaper in my estimation is if he can go through a business that has a discounted rate.

Greyhound bus lines do some shipping also at pretty reasonable prices, but I think there is a weight limit (not sure). If it doesn't work out , let me know.

Greyhound requires item to be boxed and packaged. I'm not willing to go to all that work. Hopefully the buyer has a discount rate with a freight company as some do.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
Maryland Huh
Yup, Maryland. Hey Sam, I have gotten freight down to around $155.00. Just rying to decide whether to make the drive or have it shipped. I have other things along the way that need picked up plus a tractor show to attend. B-16_IC It was not my intention to steal this from you. I figured it would go for a lot more than what my Max Bid was. When you didn't bid on it I figured you didn't want it. You were the first to bid it, so if you still want it you can have it.

quote:
Originally posted by ibelee
quote:
Maryland Huh
Yup, Maryland. Hey Sam, I have gotten freight down to around $155.00. Just rying to decide whether to make the drive or have it shipped. I have other things along the way that need picked up plus a tractor show to attend.
Really thats not a bad price in view of what I thought it would be. If you are coming out I will be available most anytime till the 22nd of July. Thats when vacation ends and I'll only be around on the weekends from then on. Doesnt matter to me as to when. Its paid for and can be stood up in the corner for the meantime. I will need a couple days notice before a truck would show up to pallet it and have it ready.

Try Forward Air Trucking Co.for truck frt items, they do good by me usually 60% of comm carrires chrgs. BUT it must be boxed, thats the only dowside. that's a unique piece indeed

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by ibelee
quote:
Maryland Huh
Yup, Maryland. Hey Sam, I have gotten freight down to around $155.00. Just rying to decide whether to make the drive or have it shipped. I have other things along the way that need picked up plus a tractor show to attend.
Really thats not a bad price in view of what I thought it would be. If you are coming out I will be available most anytime till the 22nd of July. Thats when vacation ends and I'll only be around on the weekends from then on. Doesnt matter to me as to when. Its paid for and can be stood up in the corner for the meantime. I will need a couple days notice before a truck would show up to pallet it and have it ready.
Beleive me Sam, I'm not complaining about what I paid for it. With there being so few of these out there, I figured it would go for a lot more and that I would be outbid by Rich or one of the other heavy hitters on here. Once I realized who was bidding, I quit. I'll let you know about the pick-up. Thanks.

Heavy Hitter is something I am not!lol Hey, my mistake is your gain. BTW your shipping quote sounds like a great deal considering the size. ^ I am happy to see it go to another club member! Missing out on this, (again) got me to thinking I have weed mower parts around and a Suburban 12 Sears that needs an engine and a job. Hmmmm gets the grey matter to firing!